1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New seeding job washed into the woods

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Allen@hilltop, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Allen@hilltop

Allen@hilltop LawnSite Member

Here are photos of a job I finished last Saturday. Then along came 5 inches of rain overnight and everything is now washed into the woods. The bad thing is this is for my church and is a donation of my time.

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

www.weather.com for forecast next time. I feel your pain, it wants to make you say things like :realmad: .
  3. Blueangelfightr

Blueangelfightr LawnSite Member

Ouch man :dizzy: . Sorry. Such a nice job too. Hopefully that doesn't happen again.
  4. lawnmasters2004

lawnmasters2004 LawnSite Member

oh man that sucks... i just quench when i see that... sorry man
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow...that is a shame. I don't know why, but there had to be SOME reason behind it. Maybe they can back you with some donations to patch it back up. It kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it. What exactly IS behind an "Act of God" for that to happen on a donation job. It's not supposed to happen like that.
  6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Seed=waste of money

Sod=instant lawn

7. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Wow Allen -

Sorry about your luck, how you thinking about fixing that (assuming since for church ur fixing). Sorry about their luck if pay job.
    2 options I can think of:
    1. rake up straw and regrade, reseed, pennmulch ( or hydroseed)
    2. let whatever seed is still there germinate and start to grow, then fill in trenches
  8. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Avery -

You generally contribute with knowledgeable and helpful posts, but every now and then you can't seem to hold back on a "holier than thou" statement. Your response as much as called the original poster a "dumb a$$" for planting a lawn from seed.

First of all seed is definitely not a waste of money, particularly where fescues are the predominant turf types. I have seeded several properties from scratch and always developed a thick and healthy turf. With the NC Piedmont being a transition zone for grasses, annual overseeding is almost a necessity to maintain a well established lawn (even the ones that started as sod!). Again, not a waste of money for either the customer or the LCO.......seed makes me a lot of money each year, and keeps my customers happy.

Secondly, many customers can't afford sod to establish a new lawn. Seeding is a good alternative from an economic standpoint. Sometimes weather conditions might ruin a seed job, but it isn't the majority of the time, and they can be redone at a reasonable cost.

I realize that you deal primarily with warm season grasses in the coastal area, along with high dollar retirement and resort type properties. Maybe for that unique market sodding makes more sense. I'd guess that your environment would be a minority position when compared to the masses here on Lawnsite.
    What works for you is not necessarily Gospel to the rest of us.
    NC Scaper likes this.
  9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Sod = numbskull route. Few choices, depending on sod farms near the job. And you're stuck with the grasses the sod farmer chose.

Seed = thousands of possibilities. Can select seed mix or blend to achieve specific goals on a particular site.

Once knew a landscaper who had a "penalty fee" for those who had to have sod installed on a new property, LOL.

Hilltop, what did you use for a mulch cover?
  10. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Sod instant lawn,the right choice in most cases

Seed three years to catch up to sod,more expensive than sod
    works well in large common areas,but next to the house SOD