1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Seedlings & 3-Way

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by khutch, Oct 14, 2004.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I'm ready to hit the Broadleafs that are going nutz right now....Turf Type Fescue was seeded almost a month ago and has been mowed twice.
    Always heard less than full strength 3-way is the thing to do.....but, I want to make fewer trips not more.
    What's the time range with post-em herbicides and new growth?
    Does weakened herbicide really have much affect on Broadleafs? (Is it just setting the weeds up for the next app?)
    Does 3-Way have any affect on seed that has not yet germinated?
  2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Not trying being jerk here...but read your label on the Three Way.

It will most likely say that you should not attempt to seed for three to four weeks after application. If you are happy with your current stand of fescue, go ahead and apply.

Otherwise, you will stop the germination process for any seed that is still out there for another four weeks.
  3. khutch

Turfunlimited thanks for the reply, but-
    as I said I have ALREADY reseeded, a month ago, so I have growth that has been mowed.....And I did read the label. It doesn't mention anything about reduced rates, hence my questions.........
    Also, when you say 3-way will prevent germination of seed for anonther 4 weeks, does that, as it sounds, mean it's a temporary thing, it doesn't "kill" the seed?
  4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I did realize that your fescue had already been mowed. Keep in mind that when you seed fescue, the seeds don't all germinate at the same time interval. As long as conditions are good, you will have continued germination for quite some time. Some seeds might also startup next Spring.

Let's say 75% of your seed has already germinated now. You apply 3Way now and it halts any further germination for about a month. If the weather is then too cold, any remaining seeds will sit until late Winter/early Spring or when conditions are right.

I wouldn't consider a reduced rate because the goal is to eliminate your weed problem.

I'd say if your fescue appears thick enough go ahead and apply the herbicide.
  5. khutch

That helps, Thanks.....
    The other thing I am looking for an answer, the effect of the 3-way on the new seedlings. Does the 3 way stunt them, kill them??
    I feel damned if I do, damned if I don't....
    I want to take advantage of the temps w/spraying like I can on my warm season lawns, but don't want to hurt the new growth.
  6. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

We like to see the grass cut 4-6 times before any herbicide is put down.
    Why take a chance on killing the seedlings when you can take out the weeds a few weeks later.

7. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Amen to what Mike said. Why jeopardize your new turf if your are not sure of it's level of maturity? The broadleaves are a short-term problem that can be taken care of next spring. Stunting or killing the turf is something you (and the customer) will likely have to live with all next year. As far as reduced rates go I don't advise it. Putting down less than the label demands may simply be a waste of time and money. My experience with tall fescue is that yes, you probably can treat with "3-way" after 3 or more cuts but there are far too many unknown factors to make that broad of a statement. If some of the area is in heavy shade for example, it may be weeks behind the maturity of turf in full sun. When in doubt...wait.
  8. khutch

I agree that waiting to let the fescue mature some more might not be a bad ideal, but to go after the broadleaf weeds next spring is a poor, poor choice. Fall is THE time for broadleaf treatments. Kill em' now! What few survive, get those in the Spring. Wait until spring for treatment, I doubt anyone would recommend that......I LOVE killin' weeds!
  9. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

If your ultimate goal is "killin weeds", then by all means, knock yourself out and treat whenever it is practical. That way it is possible that the turf will be thinned out, thereby reducing competition for the weeds for light,moisture and nutrients resulting in....more weeds. I'm not contesting the optimum time for control of broadleaf weeds as fall is clearly the best treatment-window. If the customer insists on weed control at a vulnerable time for the new turf, I would suggest they sign some form of a liability release. This may also be a regionally specific issue as here in the mid-south spring weed control is not difficult using certain herbicides.