new service truck

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JB926, Mar 16, 2008.

1. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

i know I have asked this question before but Im going for a new truck this week and was wondering everyones thoughts. The truck will be my main service truck and prob will see about 100 miles per day. I will also pull my pipe puller on a 20 ft trailer. This truck will also see time as a plow truck, if it ever snows again. My question diesel or gas. It has been covered 100 times on here, but with diesel at 3.50-3.75 per gallon a gaser is starting to look more attractive. I want a diesel for the power, MPG, & the longetivity. What is everyones thoughts. truck will prob be a ford f-350-450 or a dodge 3500 or maybe 4500. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

2. I have a 2004 f-250 gas and she pulls my 5000lbs trencher with zero problem....

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I've always been partial to diesel for the same reasons you listed, but fuel prices (over $4.00 here) makes one hesitate. Guess the question you need to answer is if the savings of gas over diesel is going to pencil out over the long term (mileage & maintenance).

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

If its in the budget to have a second service truck , heres a good one.

ranger.jpg

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I personally wouldn't want to mix that all into one truck. Service vehicle doesn't need to be a 350 or 450. Or a 3/4 or 1/2 ton either. I'm looking for a 2wd little Toyota, Ford Ranger, Nissan, Mazda kind of truck due to lots of miles. If done right you can easily service with a smaller truck. Sounds like you'd be spending a lot in fuel for service work with that truck. Stiff ride also going home to home to home to home all day long.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

gas is cheeper and so is the engine so i dont know

7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I may be slightly off on the numbers but if a diesel costs about $8,000 more than a gas engine i dont think the longevity argument is a valid one. even if the gas engine had to be replaced after 100,000 miles it still wouldnt cost as much as the diesel did. a gas engine will do much more than 100,000 mile so that shouldnt be a concern. on the mpg issue if you took the $8000 you saved from buying the gas truck and divided it by 208 (the number of weeks in your 4 year loan) you would have $38.46 a week for fuel. And as an added bounus you wont have to listen to that horible racket a diesel makes.

8. Ditto unless you drive 100,000 miles a year diesel is pretty overrated. I considered getting a diesel and the more I looked into it the more I couldn't justify it. Besides my pet peeve are the a-holes who park their racket right outside the supply counter and leave the friggin engine running so nobody can have a conversation.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Man that deisel engine noise goes right thru me. Ive walked over to other peoples trucks at supply houses and shut them off before.

10. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

I was glad when my neighbor got rid of his last summer. Noting worse than waking up tot he sound of a warming diesel outside.:cry: