New set of tires

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JimmyStew, Apr 27, 2008.

1. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting ready to get a new set of tires for the truck, an '04 Chevy K2500. My last truck had a set of Mastercraft Courser MSR's that I put on for winter and drove last summer. They seem to hold up pretty well as an all season tire. They were a very good tire plowing snow and I'd like to get another set for this truck. Will I see a drastic increase in tread wear by running them year round?

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Free shipping and NO sales tax. Company based in Atlanta with great prices & superior customer service. I have purchased 4 sets in two years (3 vehicles). :usflag:

www.treadepot.com

3. JimmyStew

How does this help answer my question?

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I have goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors...Pro-Grades

5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

You said that you were about to purchase a new set of tires for your truck - I was just attempting to save you some $$$$$$. :usflag:

6. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

We too run Goodyear Silent Armors on our 2500HD. They have a 50K warranty and the first set 2 years ago were not Pro Grade and the rears wore out in about 10K miles from pulling the enclosed trailer. Seems the rubber compound was too soft hence the new Pro Grade with a harder rubber. Goodyear honored the warranty and 2 new Pro Grades cost less than $100 after the pro-rating. Install, mount and balance were all free and covered by the warranty. Excellent traction in snow, quiet, decent ride for a Load Range E tire, do tend to clog with mud.

7. JimmyStew

So you think a predominantly snow tire would be too soft to hold up to the rigors of summer driving (trailering & heavy loads)?

8. BOEpavers

No, the Silent Armors are a pretty agressive block tread and the Pro Grades seem to be holding up well to pulling the trailer, etc. I can't speak for other manufacturers' rubber compounds, but I know from speaking with the Goodyear rep that they were getting a lot of warranty claims on the original Silent Armors for premature wear when trailering so they came up with the harder rubber in the Pro Grade to correct it. I guess if I were to try another brand tire and intend to tow alot (we tow every day) I look deeply into their tread wearout warranty so if something does come up you're not out the bucks.

9. JimmyStew

Those goodyears look pretty good. Seem quite similar to the courser msr. Do you plow with those tires or are you speaking to just general winter traction?

10. BOEpavers

No plowing, just general winter traction.