1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New sharpener does any use this one?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by adam5557, Jun 24, 2005.

1. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

I went to home depot to get a cheap cone balancer and it came with this sharpener that attaches to a drill and it works way better then my bench grinder.Has any got one of these and how do they like it?thanks just curious to what people have to say about it.adam
  2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

You've got to be kidding? My first year when I didn't know any better, I bought that same thing. It didn't work at all! It just didn't remove any material at all.

My bench grinder works great though.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

no man, buy you a good blade machine- if nothing else try a hand grinder.
  4. adam5557

adam5557 LawnSite Member

I must be using my grinder wrong then ,its a double wheel, where should i put the blade when sharpening it as i am clueless to sharpening. thanks
  5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Cutting edge on the top and grind away!
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Makita 4.5" circular grinder which I like a lot but yes I also bought the cone balancer because it's perfect for the application, the only thing is the cone only balances statically and not dynamically.
    And yes, it came with the sharpener but my drill doesn't have the pressure I need so it's slow going because it doesn't shave no steel off... The only thing I like about it is that it is a fine grit wheel whereas the circular grinder I use is rough so I gotta go real easy like.
    Then after I used the sharpening bit I noticed the plastic piece was all torn to shreds and so it's basically meant for a home-owner who wants to sharpen the one blade on their pushmower once/year, but me I got 21 blades need to be sharpened weekly so this thing doesn't cut it for me.
    Still, the cone balancer is cool.