New Shindaiwa trimmer cutting out

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Larson Lawn Care, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Shindaiwa 282 trimmer last week. Today I was using it and I had it turned at an angle (to edge) and it was cutting out on me. I would have to prime it to get fuel into the line. Then it would start and then do the same thing. I am guessing that it has something to do with the fuel line/fuel filter in the tank, because it only had about a quarter tank left, but that shouldn't happen. Any ideas?

2. Larson Lawn Care

Anyone had this happen before???

3. Larson Lawn Care

runs fine with full tank??????

4. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Have only held a 282 in my hands at the dealer so no experience working on them, but this sounds like the fuel line in the tank is either not long enough, or there's a problem with the fuel filter. Since it's new, take it back to the dealer.

Please post solution to problem once it is resolved.

5. Larson Lawn Care

I'm sure the problem and diagnosis would be the same with any trimmer.

6. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Have you loosened the fuel cap when it starts to miss out--maybe it's developing a vacuum in the tank.

7. Larson Lawn Care

I'll try that. I emailed the company that I purchased it from, I haven't had time to call them during their hours. Haven't heard back yet.

8. Larson Lawn Care

I tried to loosen the fuel cap... still doing it. It hasn't done it the past two days until today.

9. Lawn N Order

Lawn N Order LawnSite Member

I'd just keep it at a half tank when your edging. Maybe the fuel line isnt long enough and its just running out of fuel.

10. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I had a lot of problem with my M242. I use it as hedge trimmer and run in all position. The gas filter work itself into the neck of the gas tank. I tried changing to a big gas filter and still not working. I finally string two of the 1/4" nut onto the gas line and sit close to the gas filter as weight. that solve all my problem.