1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Shoes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1stclasslawns, Jul 22, 2001.

1. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I put a set of tires on the Dane the other day and am not too happy. I found a set of 6 ply rated titens and thought great less likley to get a flat and the tread pattern looks great.

Now the problem they dont have the traction I had when the carlile Turf Savers were /4 wore out.

Im running 12 lbs air getting ready to air down to 8 lbs.

Any other suggestions?

2. Yup, I used the same logic, had the same problem.

Not only do you loose traction, the ride's worse for you and the mower. (stress cracks)

Lowering the pressure may fix it. If not I'd say bite the bullett and take 'em off.

I havn't found anything better than Carlisle Turf Savers' with a good tire sealant. The kind that fights rim rust.

3. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

David, I use a product called Slime. How do I tell if it fights rim rust, a real problem around here? What product do you recommend if not this? Thanks, Will M>
  4. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

could be worse they could be firestone!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D i had to do it
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't particularly worry about something fighting rim rust as I would one that causes it. By the time a rim would rust due to tire sealant, the mower would probably need new rims anyway. You can get tire and rim assembly for like $100 with free air. Heck our Lazer tires are about $70 a piece.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with Dixie1 on this rust thing. I bought a set of mounted tires and rims for the rear of the Chopper in 1997 filled with sealer for $75 each and I've had no problems with rust on them. I've never had a flat on them either.
  7. Slime is one of the good ones to get.
    I just remember that with some of the cheaper sealants, when you take the tire off the rim, it's solid rust.
    The best stuff I've ever seen was some pink stuff Bunton put in at the factory. After 11 years when I dismounted the tire, The rim inside still had the paint on it. The sealant still looked new. I scouped it out and put it in the new tire.
    I've been looking for that same stuff every since. Maybe some of the other members can help.