1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New shop build - can it be deducted?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by queen of spades, Mar 12, 2011.

1. queen of spades

queen of spades LawnSite Member

I built a new shop for my business (LLC) last year. Should I consider including as a deduction on my taxes?

2. queen of spades

I'm only "dumbfounded" by the tone of your reply.

I planned to check in with a local tax guy next week, but was interested to see what others thought. We are allowed to deduct utilities, rental costs, gas to jobs, and equipment among other things. If I use the shop for my business, why not. What is the difference between a shop and a new $40k piece of equipment? Both are used for the business.

Hardly a stupid question. Only stupid people wouldn't want to save money and reduce taxes paid.

3. SDelPrete

SDelPrete LawnSite Member

yes you should deduct the cost of building it

4. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, is it after all your business HQ.

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

The only thing that dumbfounds me is the fact that someone would ever think that it would for any reason not be tax deductable. You can deduct a room in your house as a home office. Why on earth would anyone think that a building built and dedicated for business would not be tax deductable.

6. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I was asking my accountant about building a shop, and he thought that I should build it and rent it to the company.

7. queen of spades

Thanks all -- will confirm options with a tax person next week.

8. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Not a tax person - commercial buildings (land excluded) are depreciated over 39 years using straight line depreciation.

9. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Thought I would throw out a couple of pros and cons based on my experience.

pros - Own an asset that hopefully appreciates. Can collect rental income that is not subject to SS/med taxes.

cons - Own an asset that does not appreciate. Your company is the biggest or only tenant - if you go out of business you have lost that tenant.

10. sure you can, but I wouldn't.