1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New shop/home building plans ideas?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Mowtown Mike, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

I am in the planning stages of building my new house. I would like to have my shop/business ran out of home, to differ costs. I would prefer to have the shop on the bottom floor and living quarters upstairs. I am planning on having a 3 or 4 bay shop with radiant heating powered by a outdoor furnace.

My questions are: Do you have any suggestions that would help me in planning this. I would like to look at some pictures or plans of other home/shops. Steel buildings could be considered as long as thet don't look like warehouses. I live in the country, I would have my compound on about 5 acres. Thanks in advance for your help! Mike
  2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

If you ever plan to have employees I would not put the business at my home, at least not the field operations. Office OK, but the trucks equipment and crew should be somewhere else.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Having it all in one place is a good way to keep an eye on things, but don't put the house immediately next to the shop. ATTENTION: Go to the town zoning office and find out if such a set up is allowed. Land use laws are a funny thing over time.
  4. Gaturf

Gaturf LawnSite Member

I Just Went And Looked At A 24x30 Metal Building That Was Going To Cost Me About $5000 But Didn't Include The Concrete Pad. It Has Two Garage Doors And One Side Door. I'm Thinking About Moving My Operation Out Of My House And About 50 Yards Away On My Land. I Have Room For A Side Entrance From A Side Road So You Wouldnt Have To See All My Trucks And Equipment. (my wife would love that) I Also Looked At A Building With An Upstairs (it Cost Twice As Much....but Its All A Write Off) Then I Could Have An Office Upstairs. Right Now I Have A Few Employees And They Take Up My Drive Way In The Morning.
  5. Mowtown Mike

Great advice, I like the side road to the garage. How about any website to look at pics of shops? Thanks
  6. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

the first thing thatcomes to mind is getting homeowners insurance if your businessis under your house, especially the fire insurance part. i think correcting that part would be too cost prohibitive. you would probably come out cheaper building a separate shop.
  7. Mowtown Mike

Why does everyone have to be so smart? I am glad I am asking this question now and not finding out later what mistakes I made. Keep em coming!
  8. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont put the house over the shop. Growing up, we lived in a ranch style house, with a garage underneath the living room/ kitchen. The old man, my bro. and I were always working on stuff, and mom would get so sick from fumes, gas, sprays, welding fumes, exhaust, Fires when we werent careful! Not to mention the noise factor of engines running and banging from hammers, etc.
  9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a picture of a shop for you.... It might be a little big now, but you'd grow into it.