New site is live today

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by ben fritz, Jun 22, 2012.

1. fatz

fatz LawnSite Member

Looks good. How did you create the service area map with the radius? Been looking for something like that to add to my site.

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Fatz, if you're handy with a graphics program, an easy way is to just do a screen cap of the map, crop it to size, and then add a circle overlay, with a semi-transparent fill, to show the radius. If it's not in your skill set, just holla and I'll knock one out for you. Takes 2 minutes.

3. fatz

fatz LawnSite Member

Thanks Tony! Pretty handy with graphics programs, but my wife is much better than me. I'll get her to knock one out for me. Thanks again!:drinkup:

4. Durabird02

Durabird02 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Where did you buy your domain name? What program did you use to create the website? I need to get a website up and going soon! Thanks. The site looks great!

5. tonygreek

Durabird, GoDaddy is one place you can buy a domain name. Looks like they're currently running a $4.95 special through 9/7/12 with coupon code: LKSRTL495

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/godaddy.com is a good place to find current discount codes.

6. Durabird02

Durabird02 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Is it wise to do the $24.99/yr Protected Registration Package?

7. tonygreek

I don't recommend any additional features except maybe the private registration, but with a locally owned business, your name is usually attached to it so why bother? Plus, those additions are an absolute bear to cancel later on.

8. ecross4

ecross4 LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out in the business and I need to get a site up fairly quick. I'm looking at Go Daddy's website builder program where you get a free domain name included. I can do this for a year just to get my name out there, then when the business (hopefully) changes I can makes changes with hosting, site development, features etc.. Any advice on this service or others like it? Thank you in advance for your help. Eric

9. fatz

fatz LawnSite Member

My advice is not to use a site builder program. If you later decide you want to move to a new hosting company, chances are you won't be able to move your website.

Most site builder programs are proprietary programs owned by that host, so they basically own your website so to speak and you can't move it somewhere else. There are a ton of reliable hosts out there for $5-$10 a month for hosting.

My suggestion is go with one of them and either build your own website with a WYSIWYG editor like Dreamweaver or find one of the many free website templates and edit it to your needs. Or better yet, install a CMS such as Joomla!, Drupal, WordPress, etc. and build your site from that. If you later decide you don't like the host, you can take your website with you to the new host without any problems or having to rebuild the site from scratch. :drinkup:

10. acculawnsystems

acculawnsystems LawnSite Member

If you are going to invest in a site, I would recommend attaching an instant online quoting feature that will allow for customers to give instant online quotes right from your website. You are more than welcome to trial the system for 30 days with no obligation so you can see how it works. We also have a free Android, iPad and iPhone app that will allow for you to email customers instant quotes when they call and you are out in the field. Check it out at AccuLawnsystems.com.
    Posted via Mobile Device