New situation

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by TiredOfWalking, Feb 3, 2004.

1. TiredOfWalking

TiredOfWalking LawnSite Member

Well, it's been an interesting few months. Anyway, I've gone from having to mow 3+ acres (sometime 4+) once a week to about 1.5 acres once a week. Plus, before I had some trees to contend with, now I have very few, and the ground is pretty flat.

I was pretty much sold on a Hustler Fastrak and was just waiting to get the right deal, and the money together. But, now I'm rethinking that. I don't know if I need to spend $4500 to $5000 for a Hustler Fastrak.

I've looked for a used ZTR for months now and it's a tough market. I really don't know much about the machines to decipher a good deal, plus they are just hard to come by.

So, now I am thinking of going the tractor route. I really don't want to spend over $2000 for a tractor. Any recommendations for tractors under $2k? I really don't need a bunch of attachments either.

By the way, I've thought about a walkbehind, but honestly, I just don't have the time and sometimes my 72 year old father spends some time at my place and cuts the grass for me just to keep busy. A walkbehind is just not something I can even consider.

Thanks in advance.

2. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Look at John Deeres at Home Depot or Cub Cadets at Lowes. You should find something in that price range. Try to steer clear of the el cheapos for 988 bucks or so. You get what you pay for. Pops will have an easier time driving a tractor vs. a zero turn mower. With the size of your lawn, you'll probably want to focus on something in the 48inch range. Good luck.

3. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

I second the John Deere tractor. Powerful, well built, cuts great, and can last forever.
    My grandfather has a John Deere 188 tractor that he bought new in 1980. He used it to cut his 3 acre lawn every week. Its still going! I just gave him a new deere for christmas. Basicly it is the same tractor just with hydro trans and a kaw engine. He loves it!
    Nothing runs like a deere!!!

4. TiredOfWalking

TiredOfWalking LawnSite Member

Bought a Cub Cadet from a local dealer for a great price. It's the 1525 (has a 15hp Kawasaki twin and 38in deck).

I was looking for something in a bigger deck but I've decided to make a big garden, do some landscaping, build a deck and maybe even build a shed, so my area to cut will come down. Plus, I didn't factor the house into my area to cut so, after all of that, now I am down to maybe 1 acre.

Will let you know how it works out in a few months.

Thanks for the replies.

5. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

go to your friendly local deere dealer and ask them what their user inventory looks like. My dealer always has something like you are looking at sitting around that someone traded and he needs to get out from under. Look in local trader papers. Remember, buyer beware also. good luck