1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new small mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CODYHEATHER, Mar 19, 2001.

CODYHEATHER LawnSite Member

I need to purchase a small mower to do 3 lawns, I got stuck mowing the mother-in-laws, and her neighbor, plus my own. I think I can mow each in about 30 min with a 22" push mower. I am looking to spend 500-700 dollars. What is out there? Should I look at a used commercial mower, I know that they will cost a lot more, but it would save me time. What do I do??? Yes I am mowing my mother-in-laws for free, It will keep peace in the family, but her neighbors job pays good.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If they are fairly good sized, I would get a used 36" W/B mower. If they are small, get a new 21". You can find some fairly good used mowers at big dealers that take in trades. Call dealers in your area and ask if they have what we have around here. The dealer where I used to buy JD's, has a big auction every spring selling used mowers of all brands. They have some good deals.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Eric Elm. Get a used 36" and have the jobs done quickly. Plus, you will get a nice smooth cut.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

honda makes a real durable 21 inch walk behind. ive had one for 14 years. the thing is a tank. i just got another one the other day. i think they run about $700-800. dont quote me on price though.
  5. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Scotts 21" ZTR w/ 6.5 HP B&S engine Self-propelled;$500;available @ Home Depot.
    It really is a nice mower and the swiveling front caster wheels and differential on the rear wheels REALLY save time as opposed to a 21" w/out the ZTR ability!
  6. If your hooked on a commercial grade 21" mower, I use and like the most, model number 2261 for self-propelled or if you realy want a work out model #2260 Lawnboy. I know of no other machine that for it's weight, that does great job of mowing. With the optional mulching fan and plug, great mulching machine. It's the best machine that I use for picking up pine needles while cutting a lawn. At alamia.com, the machines run $599 for push model and $695 for self-propelled.

If weight is not an issue or size, get a good 36" used mower to get the job done faster. The only draw back to lawnboy's are the side stagger steped wheels instead of straight wheels.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

GO TO WALMART AND PICK UP THE 40 INCH MURRAY.Seems simpler to me.You take half way care of it .It will outlast your
    motherinlaw or whoever.You are a member but Im assuming you dont have any commercial equip.