new snapper do's and dont's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BobbyBcuttin, Apr 21, 2001.

1. BobbyBcuttin

BobbyBcuttin LawnSite Member

Hello everyone,does anyone have any doe's and dont's for me i'm picking up my new 52"snapper hydo walkbehind tommorow open to all segestions thank's,Bobby

2. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure to trailer it, use tie downs, always use your gas shut off, and don't beat on a Snapper. lol

What kind of advice do u want?

3. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

I have that unit with a 17 kaw. and love it. Alot of guys on here will give you grief about Snapper Pro, but I bet 99% of them have never tried one. The loop steering works great (easy on the hands), and the cut is excellent. Try double blades, it also works great. I used double's on my initial cuts this spring, and the yards looked they were bagged. Kudo's to Eric for that. There are a couple of us on the boards that use Snapper and love them, so when you have a specific question ask away, and I am sure we can get you and answer.

4. BobbyBcuttin

Well i got the unit today love it so far,i've got to lern to not fight the unit,i put 4 hours on it today i bet i'll hurt in places i din't no could hurt tommorrow.I was real impressed with the climing ability's of the unit,i bet it will put my simiplicty tractor to shame once i really get the hang of operating it.Now have got to decide on either a proslide or velkie anybody got opions on the two let me now ,later Bobby.

5. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

Got a Proslide on mine and have no complaints.

6. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I use a velky and it works great.

7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Bob youll get the hang on that Snapper very quick. I have a 93 with 16hp Vangard its on its 9th yr,,bet you like that loop steering very simple to learn.Those things are built very solid,7ga decks mine is fixed and it does just great. Have yet to change out a spindel bearing on mine yet. Only thing ive replaced is one set of tires and a regulator and 1 belt. Oh 1 set of plugs. When you engage the pto run almost full throttle or where the notch is. Ive done it for 8yrs and no problems yet. Ive also got mine adjusted to where the foward speed is around 5-1/2mph or maybe 6 then i can backup around 4mph when im cutting a yd in before i unload my Z=Master its faster around trees and shrubs, Just keep the grease fittings greased,change the air filter everyother week,change oil every week,and also the Hydro filter when mannuel states and youll have little problems. Marks Mowing Service. Ps i change my hydro oil every 100hrs

8. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Bob just wondered did you get your snapper from Scotty's or from Gils Four Seasons? Ive had good luck with Rick up at Scotty's he gives very good service,i done around 12k in purchases last season he always gives me the 15% discount on everything. Marks Mowing Service

9. BobbyBcuttin

Mark i got it from power equipment plus on west franklin i do all my business there i like scott'y but it's just to far out of the way.i stop by rick's shop every day he treat's me excellent i got my walk behind for 4,000 even i thought that was a pretty good deal.

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You mentioned you change hydro oil every 100 hours. I've never heard of this before. I was told that on my Choppers, it only needs to be changed if it becomes contaminated by dirt or water. It is a sealed system and the oil doesn't get hot like in an engine and there is no combustion to get it dirty. I run mine at least once a month during the winter to get them warm and run them around to warm up the hydro oil to help keep moisture out of the system.

I have never changed the hydro oil in any of my Choppers and my oldest Chopper has close to 3,300 hours. I do change the hydro filters every 500 to 600 hours like they say to and add oil after I get them changed, since I lose some when changing the filters.

I guess what I want to know is, does Snapper recommend changing the hydro oil every 100 hours?