New sod and fertilzing it.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jpp, May 9, 2006.

1. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

No response in the renovation forum, so maybe you guys can help me out.

Ok I need some help here. I just laid some sod at my Mom's yard tonight. I don't do this as part of my business, but it turned out pretty good. I tilled the areas that needed to be done. Smoothed out the areas, watered tonight and will be watering regularly. My question is, when I picked up the sod I asked about putting fertilizer down. They answered with they just did it three weeks ago. Since I just laid the sod should put down any fertilizer on it? Oh by the way I don't do Fertilzer as part of the business either. It was RTF Tall fescue Sod.

Thanks, for all the help in advance.

JP

2. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

No No and No.

I wouldn't go near that lawn with fert till the end of the year. At least till September....Water it, mow it high, and leave it alone. They didnt tell you that they fertilized it three weeks before the three weeks and three weeks before that. That things already stoned on N.

3. jpp

Thank you. That is what I was wondering was what they were not telling me.

JP

4. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

And if mom has clay soil ...aerate the lawn at least once a year starting in Fall.....or....aerate it once a year anyhow even if she doesn't have clay. Mow it high, couple hits of fert per year is all it needs.

If these kids want to tell you that a lawn needs 7 apps 0r five apps or even four apps per year to be cool and the greenest lawn in town they do NOT know what they are talking about and are salesmen first and foremost.

5. jpp

Thanks. Yep areation is on the list for this fall. I used to have one but sold it as it sat more than I used so it was time for it to go. Mom's neighbors have asked me several times about aerating, now I wish I still had it. But I will be renting one so maybe I can hit them up then. :waving: