1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New sod and shade

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kolar, Jun 4, 2004.

1. kolar

kolar LawnSite Member

I got new sod last year and there are some areas in shade that are getting thin. I was wondering if I could put some more seed down in these areas.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Grass and shade just don't get along too well,you can try adding some shade tolerant seed but the results will not be overwhelming.Shaded grass typically grows thin.
  3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You should mow the shaded turf a bit higher than the remainder of the lawn. This will help somewhat.

However if your turf happens to be bluegrass, it will not tolerate shade very well. There are some cultivars of fescue (creeping type) that could possibly be seeded in your shady areas.
  4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that has resodded a shaded area 4 times and keeps having problems she has one of the more expensive spray companys and never had any luck in the shaded area even though other shaded areas have grass. I checked her ph and it was 5.2 and since bumping it up to 7.0 its filling in
  5. kolar

kolar LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help with my problem...