new sod brown in 2 days

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Joe65, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

my neighbor had approached me a few weeks ago wanting me to install approx 10000 sq ft of sod in yard before last week in july for party first week in august.....i understand to be a huge party.....anyhow i did not have time, so i guess he called the other neighbors lawn guy....and this past sat. i saw that dirt was delivered and monday morning all pallets were in street when i was leaving........and gone when i got home, very hot day around 100....anyhow he gets me in my driveway to come over and look.....he said he watered with new irrigation, monday-today 3 times a day for 10 minutes and always made sure it was still damp to touch......anyhow he woke up this morning and what was beautiful green fescue is now 80% brown, his guy told him that happens sometimes within first few days but will green up again quickly.....his concern will it green up in 2 wks for his party.....well i didn't have an answer didn't really want to get involved but told him i would post on my special lawnsite to see what others thought and get back tomorrow.....his guy did not offer to replace it since it was green when he laid it.......i grabbed a handful of brown and it did not break off still strong.....any advice for him if installer of supplier doesn't help out.......they seemed to tell him it was normal.......i've done few sod jobs never had more than maybe a row at edge of driveway brown up,,,,,,,easy to replace.....

2. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

well i belive i read on here that laying sod in the heat is really bad for it.

3. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

thats what i thought but didn't say, figured they had it wet enough from what he says starting right off truck.......

4. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

and if heat would be the case, and it was 100 probably u would think the sod place would have let installer know so they could both avoid a problem

5. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

depending if hes a good supplier or not, some guys are just out there to make a buck. Maybe the installer knew and he just wanted to get the job over and done with

6. Joe65

Joe65 LawnSite Member
    from nj

so i have to tell him he's out 5000, i think i'll avoid him for few days(hehe), he still hoping that it will come back like they said guess i have to wait and see.......

7. cuttinjoe

cuttinjoe LawnSite Member

It'll come back. Sounds to me that he didn't water it enough. We tell our customers to make sure the sod is wet right through to the dirt the first time they water it. When its real hot we start watering as soon as we have enough down. Sod can get pretty brown and even shrink and it'll still come back. We sodded 2 new homes on a Friday. The builder watered it when it went down and then went away for the weekend. It was really brown. Yellow almost. It all came back. Prep also has a lot to do with it.

8. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

3,10 minutes waterings per day isn't near enough.He needed to deep soak it.Enough,so that it doesn't dry out at all for two weeks.Then he can start cutting back on water if weather permits.With sod,you have very little root structure and the only moisture it can draw from is in the topsoil layer of the sod.
    It's not the installers fault.Homeowners also carry some responsibility when it comes to taking proper care of their turf and plants.

9. jimmdenver

jimmdenver LawnSite Member

that sod is dead. hate to tell you. seen this a hundred times.

10. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the others. Not nearly enough water. That sod needs to be just short of soggy for at least a week. It may still come back, but he needs to lay the water to it and not be stingy.