New sod care tips?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by newsod, Jul 21, 2013.

1. newsod

newsod LawnSite Member

Im not sure what type of soil it was laid upon. When I walk on the grass, it does not feel squishy. The temperature has finally gone below 80 this week so I will cut back on the watering.

Common sense tells me that the roots only grow as far as the water is available. So They grow deeper if that is where the water supply is.

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Once the roots takes hold is when to back off on the water

Sound like you have some good Common sense

When I install Sod the sod bed of dirt is prep to the depth of 4-5 inches with a starter fert. mix in.
    So after laying the sod I roll it, then soak it wait a day roll it again and then I put water to it. Then next time I'm on it is to mow it apply a slow release fert

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Water AND air... a common problem for sod is waterlogged anaerobic soils inhibiting root growth... water/air ratio is very important... :)

4. newsod

newsod LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for all the great tips.Lawn looks much more healthier than last week. Id say only about 5-10% yellow spots! new light green has grown in the yellowing parts of the grass so I assume that it will take a little longer before the new grass spreads out a bit.