New Sod Fert

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mini man, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

Does anyone put down fert before the sod? If so what kind?
    :canadaflag:

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

always do this, use a triple 13 or 18-24-12. something like that with high phosphorus to encourage root growth. put it down at 3-4 lbs per 1000. i always use 25% or more slow release. now go get em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Mini man

Mini man LawnSite Member

Thankyou! Will apply as recommended

4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

no need. Sod comes pumped up already from the farms around here. Also, putting anything down before, unless tilled into the soil, chance of burn increases.

5. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Pumped up with N. In order for the roots to establish properly phosphorus needs to be readily available. Sod farms tend to push the Nitrogen - at least around here - in order to have an appealing look to it for the customers. When sod goes down you want immediate root growth not top growth. Just my 2 cents!

6. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Apply Milorganite before sod installation. Works wonders.

7. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Milorganite is an excellent fertilizer. I put it down the first of April to help melt the snow.
    Does wonders to grass.

8. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I have never spread fert down on top of new sod, ever is all I am saying. To each his own.Make sure to keep it wet until it takes.

9. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Is it normal for sod to turn a little yellow around the edges? I laid some sod last week. The customer has there own irrigation system so lack of water shouldn't really be an issue. The area is in full sun.

What could be the cause of the yellowing?