New Sod First Cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Jul 23, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering how everyone does there first cuts, i am talking blue grass, after its laid for say 2 weeks then you cut it how do you guys all do it and what do you charge x2 regular cut x3?
  2. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I usually wait a month after the sod has been laid to put the Z on it. I charge anywhere from 2-3x their standard mowing rate, depending on how overgrown it is. Since I don't have any bagging systems I'll have my guys blow it or rake it into piles and we'll collect it. This is the ONLY time I'll collect clippings. I would not recommend leaving them on the lawn b/c they'll probably kill it!
  3. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

u guys that dont bag, you bag first cuts or no. It seems like i could cut normally at like 5 inches then next week get to 4.5 then slowly get them to 3.5. I got a freind who cuts the first cut at 3 inchs and its good forever lol. I hate the never ending growing lawns. I dont no whats best? is it possible to cut a lawn at 5in then 4 then 3.5 n blow the hell out of it? and make it look good
  4. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

You can take down the height like that if you mow it every two or three days, as far as on a weekely basis, grass for the most part grows the same every week given consistent conditions. Especially in new installs that may have starter fertilizers. When the roots get established it takes off. I have a couple of lawns that occasionally grow 4-6 inches in cases of large ammounts on rain, say 2 or 3 days in a week. With them you just have to mulch it up and collect it. If the sod gets a good hold and grows 3" in a weeks time and you cut three off its still going to be the same height next week.

The standard in a scenario like that is the rule of thirds, only cut off a third of the grass but on a commercial front thats not always feasable unless the customer will pay for it.