New SOD going brown? Pics Included.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by The Punisher, May 29, 2008.

1. The Punisher

The Punisher LawnSite Member

I just laid down some new Kentucky bluegrass SOD in my back yard. It is now 1 week since i laiyed it down.

I would think as the roots grab that it would look greener and greener but instead i see it getting browner as days go by.

I water it 2 times a day for about 30 minutes each time. ( week 1 )
    Before laying down the sod i tilled the original lawn and added fertilizer, along with some lawn starter. I graded, applied top soil, some more lawn starter and laid the new sod.

Now i am wondering why it is going brown.. did i put too much fertilizer and it is burning the grass or am I watering too much or not enough?

The lawn does not look too bad but i do notice the brown areas getting bigger and mostly at the joints of the sod rolls.

Please help, the wife wanted to hire someone to do this job but it was so small i thought i would be able to do it right. Now she is yelling at me cuz it going brown.:(

DSC01865.JPG

DSC01866.JPG

DSC01867.JPG

DSC01868.JPG

DSC01869.JPG

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Have you tried calling the folks you bought the sod from?

3. The Punisher

I bought it at home depot. I called and asked if they have been having people complain about sod going brown and they said no.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

That looks pretty good to me...do you have a picture of when it was just installed?

5. The Punisher

Unfortunately I don't. This sod has yet to have seen any rainfall since it has been installed ( 1 week ) it has been forecasted 1 inch of rain in the next 24 hours and I am hoping that will brighten it up.

6. cgaengineer

Honestly if some of the sod I put down last year look 1/2 as good as that I wouldn't be getting another pallet to replace some of the dead pieces. Are you a perfectionist or a type "A" like myself? If so loosen up a bit...I have learned to have that "I don't give a crap" attitude and somehow things just work out.

Give the sod a few weeks, I have put down sod that looked dead and it came back...I really don't think you have a problem unless you placed the sod on some kind of chemical like gas, oil or placed in on rock.

Keep the sod moist for a few weeks, once it starts taking root you can increase the watering times and decrease the frequency of watering. So water longer, but infrequently.

7. The Punisher

Whem i tilled the original lawn i mixed in CIL GOLFGREEN™ Lawn Fertilizer 28-3-6 and some CIL GOLFGREEN™ Lawn Starter 10-20-5. ( maybe I put too much ?? )

I tested the soil prior to starting this job and the PH level was at 7.0 . From my research that level is pretty adequate for Kentucky Bluegrass.

The roots look like they are taking in, I tried pulling on the grass and see noticeable resistance. Hopefully this up coming rainfall will help and I am just being paranoid...

8. cgaengineer

Tell your wife to calm down and let the lawn pro (yourself) handle the situation.:rolleyes:

9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Very typical install, it looks like to me
    You may have overdone the fertilizer
    If your browning edges really bug you spread some top soil in between the joints and it should be fine

This is done often, where if a little is good than more should be really good, not the case with strong fertilizers like the ones you used

10. cgaengineer

Yeah, it appears to me you did put down too much N.