new sod in Michigan

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kolar, Nov 3, 2003.

1. kolar

kolar LawnSite Member

The sod is about six weeks old. Fertilized it 2 weeks ago with 14-25-10. The grass still looks pretty good but some of the blades are yellow. Is this normal for this late in the year, or should I fert again before winter. I'm thinking about just having someone take care of it for me. Is sod supposed to stay green up until the snow falls?

2. kansas_turf_man

kansas_turf_man LawnSite Member

I wouldn't worry about the leaves turning a bit yellow this time of year, However with the sod only being down 6 weeks it is important that you supply adequate moisture for it over the winter. In normal years snow will provide enough moisture but if you would happen to have a long period without any snow it is important that you water it in the winter.

Another light dose of fertilizer probably won't hurt anything, but i doubt it will make the grass any greener this late in the year.

As far as the sod Staying green untill is snows......not the case. Temperature has much more to do with the color of the turf in the winter than the amount of snow. A decent amount of snow cover will actually prolong the green. The snow provides a bit of insulation and therefore protects it from cold winds which usually dry out and brown the leaves in the winter.

3. kolar

kolar LawnSite Member

Nathan,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the help...:)

4. kansas_turf_man

kansas_turf_man LawnSite Member

No problem, Glad i could help.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is nothing wrong with the bit of yellow you are getting at this time. It's slowing down and approaching dormancy. As far as letting someone take care of it, as long as you don't go with a "big green" company, you should be alright. Otherwise, you will see your lawn grow thinner and thinner by the season. Your best bet would be to take care of it yourself. I think there is an elevator out that way that makes his own fertilizer. This would be your best bet, because you can always be using a good higher phos. and potassium fert. that will keep it nice and thick, and hardy. Stay with a 50% scu. Around 24 or 25 is all you need (for the Nitrogen). Good luck with it, and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I guess it's safe to say that you got your sod from DeBucks? You are in good hands.