1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New sod is terrible looking...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by beetle_slayer, Sep 14, 2006.

1. beetle_slayer

beetle_slayer LawnSite Member

OK, here is a brief description of my lawn. Moved in last June, nothing but weeds and overgrown bushes, nasty concrete flower bed, yucky stuff.
    I killed the dallis grass/crabgrass and watered/fertilized, tilled over winter, brought in a few yards of sandy dirt to help level. My dirt is black, gummy clay. I tried seeding but more crabgrass and dallis grass grew. I got 3 pallets of bermuda sod left over from work--free!!! I laid the sod right over the weeds and watered daily and fertilized 6 weeks later just as the sod company said. Almost all survived but it is not very healthy looking. I water and fertilize plenty, but it just doesn't look good. Last wekend, I brought in 2 yards of dirt for my flwer beds and just backed up to the beds to empty the truck. Now, I have deep ruts in my yard that are very green.
    Now, I didn't roll the sod. Should I roll it now? Will I be wasting my time? It doesnt seem like the sod is rooted well when I pull weeds.