New SOD issues. Please Help

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by DAVERR, Oct 6, 2010.

1. DAVERR

DAVERR LawnSite Member

I've layed SOD during the fall before and have never experienced this.

I layed some SOD on Saturday and began immediately watering it per the distributors instructions. I noticed yesterday that my seems have began to brown / yellow a bit. Furthermore, these areas including some areas of the middle of rolls simply pull out as easy as a weed after a hard rain. I assumed it was overwatering, but I don't know. The SOD setting is moist and the top soil beneath is moist. I can see root growth, but am concerned about the easy areas of pull up. Most of the rest of the grass is set and appears to be fine.

-Could this be from overwatering?
    -Can these areas recover with backing up on the watering?

2. Kartanimal29

Kartanimal29 LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

Do you now how long the sod was sitting on the truck before you got it?

3. DAVERR

DAVERR LawnSite Member

It was delivered at about 11AM and we layed it between then and 330. I covered it while it was in the sun. Some of them were a little dry, but we drenched them pretty good following laying them. Not sure when it was cut. It was decently about 20 pounds per roll at the top of the pallet, but when you got to the bottom, they ran about 50 to 70 pounds. They were soaked on the bottom. As I think I stated, the SOD company reccomended cutting back on the water. These are few and far between spots. A vast majority of the rest appears to be setting nicely. I just don't know what the loose leaves is a sign of.

Thanks for the reply. Any help is appreciated.

4. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a similular experience.....give it a few days it should come around.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

It will be fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

It will be fine but do yourself a favor and put some milorganite down, but you should be fine. It takes 10-14 days for roots to attach to the soil sometimes longer depending on the growing conditions.

7. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Wouldn't a starter fertilizer help since the goal is have the sod roots attach to the ground. Root growth and strength is crucial. It should be watered on the truck ever so often right?? Did you inspect the sod for any insects and fungus? I guess just wait and see.

8. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

What king of sod? Bluegrass?

What are the day and night time temps?

9. Skimastr105

Skimastr105 LawnSite Senior Member

milorganite can do wonders. i suspect it will pull through on it's own though.

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Use the milorganite, it will green back quick and at least keep customer from yipping.
    Posted via Mobile Device