1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new sod layed yesterday

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by THIESSENS TLC, Aug 15, 2012.

1. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. I think the whole "don't water at night" thing started without regard to where in the country you are. If you have dew at night that is the best time to water. That way you don't prolong the turf being wet as you would if you watered during the morning or other times of the day.

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

So we got some rain the other night at the new house, so i didnt bother watering today. The grass was still very moist all day today even with the sun out. Temps have been going down to 13 or so at night....really nice for sleeping! And about 22-25 throughout the day. I'll be going back up tomorrow morning to give it a good soak. I'll take some more pics of the whole property tomorrow, and you guys can let me know what yas think.
  3. USAProLawnCare

USAProLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Did we move ahead to January without me realizing it?

lol, i went out for a coffee and smoke at about 8am, and had to go back in to get a sweater! The heat i think is gone for good this year. At least up here. Im no weather man though. All the brown lawns are now green like in spring. im just glad i got grass now and not later in the year or next year...never know with home builders. My neighbor said when they built his house, he didnt get grass until the following year in june.
  5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I seem to recall some nasty winters after major heat waves too.
    I know down here we will likely warm up again but I agree, the worst of summer may be over.

i hope we get a good winter, last years ice fishing season sucked! i believe it went down to 12-13 again lastnight. definitly cooler outside than inside.
  7. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

Folks. He's talking that furrin Celsius :canadaflag::usflag:. 13 C is equal to about 55 F.

hahahaha! ya we dont go by farenheit!:drinkup:

Anyways heres some pics i took today. 5th day on the ground. its gettin a little dry around some of the edges. lookin at $500-$700 for the first months water bill!:cry: if you notice my neighbors lawn isnt doin so well....luckily im allowed to water because its new sod. water ban for everybody else. found 2 brown mushrooms in the backyard this morning too! i ate em!:dizzy:http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment....nt.php?attachmentid=255159&stc=1&d=1345411913

10. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta laugh. Last I looked water is a renewable resource. I can understand restrictions during a drought but I've always believed that those bastards artificially inflate the cost so that people won't use it. Same with gas prices.

I looked the restrictions up on Google and see that the problem is a crappy water system. They have restrictions every summer. You would think that for $500-700/mo they could afford to upgrade.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012