1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new sod on old vegetable garden

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EZTarget, May 10, 2004.

1. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

i have a customer who wants to install st Augustine sod in her back yard on what used to be a vegetable garden. it is about 14'x50' and the ground is quite soft - i am sure from constant tilling and replanting. when walking on it, it leaves impressions. the soil is not damp or wet. i haven't gotten the soil tested yet but would i need to install top soil to firm this area up?

also, a big problem is access. this is in the back part of a yard that has a pool. this yard is multilevel (it is raised about 2 1/2' with a retaining wall). and separating the pool area are shrubs except for a 3' step to access this yard. only about 3' between pool and house so it is a tight fit all around. almost lost my mower in the pool just getting back there to knock down the weeds.

is she better off doing something else?
  2. EZTarget

any thoughts here?
    any of you LCOs in Arlington area interested in this job? i will hand it off so i can ensure this customer gets good service. i don't have the resources for it.
  3. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

just get a hand roller bring in some topsoil and roll away til the ground firms up. adding topsoil if needed. Then you can sod over it.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The ground will firm up on it's own after awhile, when there is turf on it. Just make sure you put it down green side up! :)
  5. EZTarget

lol. i always wondered about that! thanks for the clarification.
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

it isn't green side up. that is for pikers. the better way is dirt side down.
  7. EZTarget

yet another good point.
    however, i am not familiar with this term pikers...
  8. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

If its bermuda it dont matter. 3 years ago I seeded my front lawn and subbed out 1000 yard Tif 419 install in the back. The guys dropped a piece of sod on the seeded area dirt side up. I didn't pick it up because I did not want to walk on my newly seeded lawn. 6 weeks later that one piece of sod took hold now I have one piece of 419 among my seeded Sahara.:D