1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New sod turning brown

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by BMD, Sep 3, 2005.

1. BMD

BMD LawnSite Member

We just moved into a new house (Mpls area) and had sod installed on Monday. After one week of watering (twice daily 45 minutes per section), we are seeing a lot of brown -- especially in one section of the back yard. I don't believe we have under-watered, but we are new at this. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a proper irrigation system installed? I see lots of water puddled outside your yard.

What sort of soil prep was done before the sod was laid?
  3. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

looks like it might be getting too much water. We had a job where the guy was soaking the hell out of it, so we had him back off on the watering a little and started greening up in the area's where the sod was brown.
  4. The Ripper

The Ripper LawnSite Member

That is way too much water. You are rotting the roots of the sod and you are going to lose your entire lawn if don't cut that watering down by at least half if not 1/3.
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Dude, you are killing it yourself with all that water! With the proper irrigation system you should only be watering each Zone 15 minutes a day for a total coverage of 1-2 inches of water a WEEK and all watering should be done between 5AM-10AM for ideal results, but NEVER in the late afternoon, day or early evening.....NEVER as it sets the lawn up for all kinds of disease
  6. If you inspect it close and look under it you might see that its Bush's fault somehow.
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

While water may be excessive it is not killing the lawn. I would advise treating for Pythium blight and Dollar spot. More than likely the fungus is pythium which is a root rot type of fungus. The excessive amount of water is transporting the fungus and creating ideal conditions for fungal activity.
  8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

youre all wrong. its just turning dormat wile the roots develop. we lay sod over the winter here and the whole yard turns brown until spring. what kind of grass is that? almost looks like bermuda, but didnt think that was too common back up north
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Eh, its not winter yet, it shouldn't go dormant.

Also, all that excessive puddling around the yard shows serious overwatering, or drainage problems.
  10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

:laugh: DUH!! In the Winter it SHOULD turn brown.....a little thing called dormancy.... :laugh:

Again, dude it is too much water causing root rot.....