New Sod???

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ACutAbovesiny, Dec 6, 2006.

1. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

So I was driving around today and came across something. It was 5 skids of rolled up sod. As I got closer I realized they were laying it down on a new housing development. It looked odd because it was like 30 degrees today.

Is it OK to lay sod in this temp?

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't but I do see people doing it...usually only when the client has no other choice, like if it is a new commercial construction or something.

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Yes, you can lay snow ontop of snow (not to much though). It will just go dormat, then in the spring water the hell out of it, and it'll be fine. Its not a big deal, at all.

4. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I would just hate to have all those people pass by and see my trucks and guys doing the work and then a month later the sod looks like hell.

5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

it'd look like hell anyway because it'll be going dormat if your in an area where it snows or stays under 32 degreese for long periods of time. but come spring, it'll be beautiful just like any other newly installed lawn should.

6. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

Sure. We do 2 or 3 projects each winter. We've even erected a temporary "thawing out tent" to keep the rolls from sticking together if its not going to get above freezing. Sod takes off and grows just fine come spring.

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

saw a guy doing it yesterday they say if you can get ahold of it then lay it itll be dormant all winter and pop up in spring and its a job to do in the long winter months too

8. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

As long as the sod farm can cut it, you can install it. The day after Thanksgiving I put down 2000sq feet for a church/school. It's a lot better than having those kids run through the mud.