new sod

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rockfarmer, Jan 15, 2007.

1. rockfarmer

rockfarmer LawnSite Member

I have a small yard with Bermuda on it now. The yard gets all but about an hour of direct sun in the summer. It also drains very well. I'm Looking to put El Toro Zoysia down as soon as it warms up a bit. I have used El Toro but that was in Houston. Anyone had any luck with it here in Memphis? I like the dense turn and and soft feel of El Toro.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone sell El Toro in your area?

3. rockfarmer

I was told El toro was sold here. Or close by. The folks I have talked to arent even carying it right now. If El Toro isnt available I would settle for Meyers.

4. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Zoysia does well in you area. The variety selection isn't very wide last time I checked. Just make sure the bermuda is dead or removed before you start. You see zoysia a lot more in the nicer areas of town. It involves a less mowing than bermuda, and some people prefer the taller mowing height.

5. MTAYLORFFP

MTAYLORFFP LawnSite Member

Thats funny that you ask this question, I was talking with a co-worker of mine this am about this particular grass.. He mentioned it was very expensive... Im from here in memphis also, I have a shady area on the side of the house, howver it doesnt drain as well as i would like, would it do well in my situation.?

6. rockfarmer

Zoysia does well in this area. Or so I've been told. Your "shady" area. does it get any sun at all? How much? And the drainage does it stay wet all the time or only after a lot of rain. If you get 4 or more hours of direct sun and the area get dry a day or so after a rain then the zoysia will do fine. Myers is the most popular around here. It is more expensive but I think it is well worth it over bermuda any day.

7. MTAYLORFFP

MTAYLORFFP LawnSite Member

honestly, it stays pretty wet due to no drainage cause the soil is VERY clay in nature.. it takes like 4-5 days for it not to be soggy.. so i doubt zoysia will do any good...doesnt really get alot of direct sun due to the house shadow all day.

8. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Soounds like a good place for a shade garden, rather than lawn grass.

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

call winstead turf farms out near arlington and ask them about their Palisades Zoysia. and if that doesn't work you can always fescue it, just keep it watered good during our high periods of heat.