New Sod

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by txrock75, Feb 28, 2008.

1. txrock75

txrock75 LawnSite Member

I need to get an idea what kinda of money I'm looking at. I just moved in to my new house (new construction), the builder put the front yard in, but nothing in the back just graded and leveled it. The back yard is pretty big the house is at the end of a cultesac, the type of grass in the front yard is ST. Augustine and that's what we want laid in the back yard. So any ideas about how much this will cost me to have some one come in and take care of this for me? :confused: By the way I am in central Tx.

2. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure on the cost of St. Augustine, as we don't get that here. However, you can measure the area you want sodded and atleast know how many pallets you will need. Once you get the square footage.... divide it by 500 and that will tell you the approximate # of pallets. On average, a pallet of sod covers 500 sq. feet.

Just for budgeting purposes, some companies here get @ $1-$1.25 per sq.ft. for sod installation. Also, one thing to keep in mind is to call a sod grower in your area. Sometimes they may offer that service if your lawn will take 8 or more pallets. It's worth a shot.

3. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have sprinklers? if not get those in first depending on what type of st augustine you have it needs water...down here in south fl st.augustine goes for 55.00 per pallet but you have to pick it up at the field

4. captn

captn LawnSite Member

depending on the size of the yard, I agree -- put sprinklers in. I don't like to sod since even after a few years, it can peel up in damp conditions. I have always gotten best results seeding....plus you can do it yourself.