New Sponsor http://mrfunnelshop.com/ Anyone have one of these?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ric3077, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I checked out their site...they sell funnels to filter fuel as it goes into your mower etc..seems like something everyone could use...anyone have one?

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Yes............

3. Ric3077

Um...does it work good? :hammerhead:

4. ebpd49

ebpd49 LawnSite Member

I bought two of these about two years ago. I noticed the sediment at the bottom of my gas cans after filling up at the service station and decided to give these a try. They filter water and sediment out of diesel, kerosene, and gasoline. These are big with bush pilots in Alaska and I understand with the military. They work and have a long service life. They are also marketed by West Marine. Make sure you get the one that does not promote a problem with static electricity at the pump. Also you must use them prior to adding 2-cycle oil. Hope this helps.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing worse than fuel problems when flying around Alaska.. This product sounds like a good idea.

6. Ric3077

Thanks ebpd49 I might get one.

7. newz7151

from Tejas

I think what convinces a person is having the product rep hold one over your head and pour a glass of water into it. You have to be careful though, if the water gets too high on the filter in the funnel the static pressure will be to much and it will force its way through the teflon coated filter.

Also, you will have a bit of gas left in the sediment/water trap portion of the funnel, but if you have a little cup of water with you, you can pour it in until it is just up to the filter area so that the rest of the gas will get displaced at the bottom and rise to the filter area and finish its way out.

8. newz7151

from Tejas

Q. Will the filter work on mixed fuel with 2-cycle oil in it?
    A. Yes, but if your 2-cycle oil has a detergent base the detergents can break down molecules of water and some water might pass the screen. Usually only a drop or two but if you are concerned, filter the fuel a second time because unless the sump is full of water, it is not possible that any water passed the filter.