New spray rig...need your input please.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CrystalCreek, May 8, 2008.

1. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, I am a solo operator with liscense and all the trimming. I am making a new spary rig for myself. I have about 65 customers at about 5000 sq feet each. I will be installing two 50 gallon tanks on a small trailer. One tank is for non selective and the other will be for selective. Here is where I need your help. I am still undecided about pumps. I have narrowed it down to two choices. One option would be to power with a small 4 hp engine with 4 roller pump. This is a unit set up, so I would need to buy two of these. The other option I though of was an electric set up. I have found a 200 PSI 12 volt pump, about 3 GPM. It might be nice to do some early morning spraying without the engine noise. If I want with the electric set up, I would build a battery box with serveral deep cycle batterys and a hook up to the truck so they will charge while driving. The 12 volt pump was seen on Northern tools. com. Please give me some ideas and advise.

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

3. CrystalCreek

Thank you for the input. The reasons for my design is because I have an old trailer sitting around that I need to put into work. The trailer is 4 foot wide be 6 foot long. I like the trailer idea because it allows me to hook and go, and keep the truck bed free for fertilizer and spreader equipment. I was going to buy the tanks from northerntools for about $125 each, and the 200 foot hoses for about $300. All of this would be perminately mounted to the trailer. All I need is the pumps. I did think of lesco space saver and other small skid spreayer setups but like I said, I'm solo. I can't lift those units into the truck by myself. Also I could build the trailer setup for about $1200, verses $1600 for each skid unit. Please keep the ideas coming guys.

4. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

If you are using a two tank setup w/ different product I like the idea of electric. If your not doing fert, i think that 2 small tanks would work fine

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Lesco makes a small electric set up 25 gal tank. Fimco also makes a similar unit. They run about 129 to 225 in cost. That should work for your first year. Then add a 100 gallon tank for your second year. Third year add a Honda motor and top quality pump. Roller pumps are cheap--but don't last long. Take a look at Gregson Clark. A sponsor.

And you will need an electric reel with 300 feet of hose.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Have you considered Hypro diaphram pumps? We like the D-30 powered by a Honda engine.

7. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

If you're set on the idea of building from scratch it shouldn't be hard to power two pumps from one engine. Put an electric clutch on each pump or use a simple mechanical belt tensioner that rocks between the two pumps. As for the noise of the engine you can use a car muffler. I've done this to keep generators quiet. Mount the muffler under the trailer and nobody will get burned.

Scott

8. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

I'm pretty sure 12 volt diaphragm pumps (3 - 3.8 GPM) are limited to 50 ft. of hose, because the pressure drops off radically after that point.

9. CrystalCreek

I appreciate everyones replies. I think that I am going to use the gas pump set up. I will use rollor pumps. I know they are cheap, but easy to replace and I do a limited amount of spraying. I found a pump and engine comb on agrisupply.com. 3.5 HP briggs with a 4 rollor pump. 150 psi with 4 GPM. I hope they work. Each setup will cost about $350. I know it is more expensive, but will probably work and last longer.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Notice they don't say 150 lbs AT 4 gpm. That is because pump companies are sometimes optimistic about performance. Usually its 4 gpm at 5 pounds pressure. Or 1 GPM at 150 pounds--but not both. Remember you only have 3.5 hp to begin with. Read the specifications carefully and skeptically. And then allow for about 75 percent performance in the second year as the wear factor kicks in.