New SS fert. spreader

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by coolbrze, Feb 29, 2012.

1. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member

We're looking at purchasing a new fert. spreader this year. The majority of our lawns range in size from 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre properties, w/ some townhomes & a couple slightly larger lots. For 1/4 - 1/2 acre properties, what's the best SS push fert. spreader on the market?

2. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member

btt anyone?

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

The standard among the industry is the 80lb SS with pneumatic tires from Lesco (Now John Deere Landscaping). The other spreader used commonly is the Spyker.

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have had Eartway and the Lesco. I now have a Andersons and love it. There is no way I would ever go back to a Lesco spreader after using it.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You need stainless steel. Andersons with the Helical cone pattern adjustment is excellent, I have one. However, it is a bit heavy, around 42 pounds; the Lesco (Deere) is about the same weight. (With one bag=92 pounds, with full 80 lbs=122 pounds to push).
    Earthway offers similar spreaders, but also offer a stainless steel 50 pound capacity that only weighs 28 pounds. You seldom need to add more than one bag at a time. Their gears are beeffier--five year guarantee. Pattern adjustment is easy.

In either case, my opinion is that you should add a handle on the left side to make loading whatever spread you use into your truck easier.

And I always replace the standard rubber grips with heavy duty comfortable motocross or BMX grips.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  6. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, which models do you recommend?

7. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I'm all liquid and just use the Lesco for Lime and loan to my buddies.

8. Turf Dawg

9. Turf Dawg