1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Start up help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mr.Lawn, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Mr.Lawn

Mr.Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hi Folks, Was looking at how feasible it is to do lawn care part-time until a good customer base is established???? Thanks :cool:
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

That is how most people get started, however, I feel the major draw back doing this part time is it only becomes a part time commitment. Meaning looking to make a few extra bucks. Maybe thats not your case. With the part time commitment come the low balling to pick up those few extra bucks which in turn hurts us all. So price it right, and promote your business full time and you will be fine. However, another point comes to mind. I know a number of people who know how to do lawncare work but they dont know how to run a good business.
  3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

You can do it, BUT......price your work professionally and do your work the same way. If someone wants a "cheap lawnboy"' let them hire the 'teeny booper' down the street. If you intend to develope a real full time lawn care business, develope a sound business plan, purchase quality equipment, present your self as a professional and respect those who share this indevor, the green industry, as mentors and equals. Be prepared to admit your mistakes and correct them. Expect to put in some, no make that many, long,sweaty hours.

That being said, Welcome to 'Our World', the geen one......

The Captain
  4. SouthJerseyLawns

SouthJerseyLawns LawnSite Member

I agree with my colleagues that part time commitment will only hurt you and our business. If you can handle 10 accounts and service them well, then that is where you start. Be careful not to over extend on accounts to the point where service suffers. In many cases you can make more money with less customers if they are serviced well. You would be surprised on how much money you can make on the extras once your customers trust you enough to maintain there entire property.