New Stihl 4-cycle equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by goodbeus, Nov 11, 2002.

1. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone see the new Stihl 4-cycle trimmer...went in to get a new edger, and they had one in...started it up, it sound so sweet...quieter than the 2-cycle trimmers...salesman informed me next month they'll have the 4-cycle edgers...sweet...and then next summer, there will be a 4-cycle back pack blower available...salesman told me the distributor had tested the blower in Germany and no other blower came close to matching the power...the trimmer is .2 ounces heavier than the 2-cycle, which was my main concern thinking it would weigh a lot more than that...just thought I'd let you guys and gals know about it if you didn't already... :D
  2. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer told me to take the new stihl 4 mix out and put some hours on it and I did and did not like it a all, the power seemed to be sluggish and to me not enough head speed. But that is just me I guess, I like the 2 cycle myself.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I've been told that by 2005 there will be no 2 cycle equipment available for sale AT ALL in the USA. If you like it better stock up now. I'm speaking of new equipment purchases from dealers of course.
  4. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed one last week around the dealership, the power seemed to be pretty but the trimmer was a little heavy compared to what Im used too. But thats just my 2 cents!
  5. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

If you are thinking 4 cycle you better start working out, cause I can tell you from experience it is HEAVY! It is also sluggish. I hope they correct these problems before they discontinue them!
  6. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

4 cycle hand held equipment ugh... Did I mention I hate the EPA :angry:

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

I was at a trade show this past weekend and saw the new Honda 4 cycle trimmer. I'm not sure if they're introducing it in the US at this time as well but it seemed alright.

I also heard they're discontinuing 2 cycle manufacturing in 2005. I started switching over my 2 cycle Toro push mowers this year to 4 cycle and I'll tell you that you will notice the reduction in fumes you breath in. I'm willing to sacrifice a minor bit of power loss in the short term to save my lungs in the long run.
  8. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I can just see everyone getting there 2 stroke equipment though ebay in 2006.

from AL

The new 4 stroke stuff will run on a gas oil mix. Power is better distributed than a conventional 2-stroke & it is lighter than a conventional 4 stroke.

I believe Shindaiwa was the first to introduce this new technology with their C4 engine on the T2500 trimmer.
  10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Question is why???? Why would you run 2 cycle mix in a 4 stroke engine? Mixing costs more and is prone to fouling plugs.
    The whole idea is to cut down on the pollution caused by the oils.

Please explain this one.