New Stihl blower - Now I want new Trimmer!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rjg2, Jan 13, 2008.

1. rjg2

rjg2 LawnSite Member

Since I like my new Stihl blower, I think I should get a new trimmer. Looking at Stihl's site there is an easy start FS 45 and a non easy start. What is the difference?

Also what would be a comparable curved shaft trimmer? Thanks again!
  2. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

I have a FS110RX and must say I have been very impressed. The straight shaft will last a bit longer then the curved shaft. Also I find the curved shaft is less comfortable. I don't know how much trimming you have to do (I have a bunch) but it was a great relief on my back when I switched to a straight shaft a few years ago.
  3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with a FS-55... homeowner grade but straight-shaft. Bent-shaft are a bit clumsy and difficult to use in my opinion.
  4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say the straight shaft is more difficult to learn to control, but after once learning it, you could still give me a curved shaft but I would immediately sell it. The straight shaft is more efficient and easier on the back. But for folks who don't have much to trim, the curved shaft makes sense if they prefer it.
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a fs-55...its worked great for me the past years....good trimmer for the money

6. cranesrule

cranesrule LawnSite Member

No brainer... FS55!
  7. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I definitely get a real professional grade trimmer. They last for years, what is $100 spread out to 10+ years. If you a pro, absoltely a light weight commercial trimmer, if you are a home owner, I would look at a Honda because weight is not an issue. To me Redmax BCZ3000s and Honda HHT35S are my favourite.
  8. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

As a homeowner, I have gone to all Pro level equipment, not always top of the line but mid grade and have had excellent service and dependiability.

All of my handheld is Stihl with exception of one very lightweight John Deere string trimmer. Heavier bicycle trimmer is great but only used for extended sessions where I will use shoulder harness. Split shaft is great as edger and pole saw, chain saw and hand held blower are both pushing 20 years with no real problems. The br600 backpack blower is awesome but too new to comment on anything but quietness and power.

Scag Wildcat ZTR has saved a shoulder that is developing chronic bursitis or tendonitis. I could mow all day on it and literally feel no added pain. Constant twisting on steering wheel on my 8 year old JD lawn tractor for the three hours required to mow my place with it kills me. The ZTR takes only a little over one hour, leaving me more time to play.