New stihl blower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cooper Landscaping, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

I just got Stihl's new catalog and when i looked through the blowers i realized that the br 420 is no longer here, it has changed to br 420 c magnum????? is this becuase of problems with the original br420? because if i reember right they only had the 420 for a year- i own one and just wanted to make sure that there are no major problems in the 420 ha caused them to make a new model thanks!
    -Coop

2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

The BR420C is the same as the BR420 but it has a catalytic converter (for use in California-low emissions). This is the same for all Stihl products "C" means Catalytic Converter.
    These two units list as the same power and weight, so maybe Stihl decided to do away with the 420, and only make the "C" model.

You could always e-mail Stihl or talk with your dealer.... I have the BR420, and I dont think there are any problems with it.

Jim

3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a BR 420 c at Schmidts& Serafines March 02 at their open house $ 320. They are having a field day Aug 13.

Its at a school in Waterbury. They sell Exmark & Toro

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Bought a new 420 last week and am not impressed. Hard to start and does nnot blow worth a darn, Have had it back to the dealer and they say it is fine. Paid with tax $420, what a waste.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The BR420 C weighs a little more and has a little less power than a BR420.

Tip: To restore the power and reduce weight the muffler off of either the BR400 or BR420 is a direct replacement for the catalitic convertor muffler on the BR420 C.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Richard,

I was just wondering where you got your info about the power and weight on the Stihl backpacks? I posted the info straight out of the Stihl catalogue (says power and weight are the same).

Do you think they misprinted the catalogue?

Thanks
    Jim

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

not sure why yours is hard to start but my 420 runs fine. it always starts on the THIRD pull. sometimes the 2nd depending on how warm it is outside. do you have the long tube on it or is it off?

8. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

well bought a br420c today........really i bought 3 (only had 1 in stock):( i paid $350 each. and i also got a digital camera.. added a pic
    -Nick

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Jimbo wrote:

I was just wondering where you got your info about the power and weight on the Stihl backpacks? I posted the info straight out of the Stihl catalogue (says power and weight are the same).

Jimbo, sorry about taking so long to reply. If the catalog says they are the same it is a direct contradiction to what the owners manual says. Also when you hold the 2 mufflers in your hands (the C and non C) the C muffler is clearly heavier than the non C.

From the manual:

BR420 Air Flow 742 Air Velocity 174 mph Horsepower 3.5 Weight 20.1

BR420C Air Flow 724 Air Velocity 172 mph Horsepower 3.3 Weight 20.5

10. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

my br420 is sometimes tempermental when starting so i talked to a rep from stihl and he said the 420 tends to flood easily- he said when u have the choke on dont give it more than 2 or 3 pulls whether you hear it false start or not- then turn the choke off and try- he said if you pull anymore than 2 or 3 times on choke chances are youll flood the engine- hope this helps someone in a similar position as i was
    -Coop