New stihl km110.. bad choice ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by btnj47, Apr 30, 2008.

1. btnj47

btnj47 LawnSite Senior Member

so I needed an edger I usually buy redmax stuff but decided to look into the stihl kombi unit since no dealer had a dedicated edger in stock and I needed it for this weekend. the redmax one i wanted was 2 weeks out i was told. my dealer tried to sell me thier multi one but only had 23cc and not alot of attachments . so went to stihl and ended up getting the km 110 kombi cause they had no km 130. got it home and started it and seems to lack some power but im not used to 4 mix the spec is 31cc i think and the km130 has 36cc.
    So did i make a mistake ? should I have gotten the 130 ? anyone use these tools maybe its just the sound of the 4 mix that makes it seem to lack power

2. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I've got the 110 and it seems to me like with the edger, it over revs...like it has TOO much power. I do know this...I have a 110R trimmer and the kombi unit is a lot heavier...my big butt got out of shape this winter!!

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

There is no lack of power, your just not used to the 4mix.

4. btnj47

Thats what I was thinking. just sounds different and Im used to 2 strokers. I will say its a nice unit and seems comfy to handle

5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Yes you did make a mistake. I had the same unit and the straight edger leaves a bad finish. And yes it is heavy. Get a redmax stick edger if can return it. The 4 mix will need valve adjustments and other stuff 2 cycles won't need. Also I found the 110 to be really bad on gas. Worse than my stihl 85s!!

6. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

I think it's the 4mix sound that is getting you. It sounds like it's not revving up enough but it's really a 4 cycle hitting up NEAR 2 cycle digits. It has much more torque than a comparable 2 cycle, but it's a hybrid engine. It is definately different, sounds like a 600lb bumble bee:weightlifter:
    I used a Km110 yesterday to edge about 1/2(total) mile that hasn't been edged in 4 years other than a little string here and there. Yes, it was somewhat tedious and the extra aluminum on the combi was a noticeable weight difference to a dedicated unit.

To answer you main question, yes, I would see if your dealer won't swap out for the KM130. It has a HUGE power increase from the others

km90 1.27hp good power, more than adequate for landscaping
    km110 1.3hp may as well have bought the 90
    km130 1.9hp noticeable power increase!, shaft twists in hand with throttle

7. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

The redmax units are lighter, unless you buy one of those with the seperate wheel on the shaft.

8. btnj47

I wanted the redmax hez3001s its got 29.5 cc but i guess they are discontinuing this model cause my dealer said it would take a while to get and its not on the redmax website. So what redmax unit would you reccomend

9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

That's a beast of an edger! A 25cc should well though. I have the 22.5 he225 and it's not designed for thick stuff. I wish I got a bigger one.

10. btnj47

Thanks for all the imput. anyone else have anything else good or bad? love to hear it