New Stihl Owner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rugmankc, Jul 17, 2008.

1. rugmankc

rugmankc LawnSite Member

Just bought an FS100RX. New to 4mixes. Sarted fine, just have two running questions.

1. When at idle and sitting on ground it seems somewhat rough and a little like a Harley at idle.

2. When starting to engage, I get a metal to metal sound. Dealer said the idle sounds that way and the metal sound is the clutch engaging.

Is this normal for both questions.

Otherwise a like the weight and feel. It is way more than I need, but liked the BG85 blower so much, I wanted another Stihl.

Ken

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Yes it is normal.

3. rugmankc

rugmankc LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick reply dKoester,

Ken

4. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

until it rattles ur arm off its normal. The one guy i was helping out had one and the antivibration went bad it was nasty

5. rugmankc

rugmankc LawnSite Member

It's a mild vibration. You can let it sit on the ground and it doesn't walk around. When held and increasing throttle still only a mild vibration. Maybe a 3 on a 1 to 10 scale. More so than the old 21cc craftsman I got rid of. Thought they (the 4mixes) would be smoother. But not a problem. I'll try it on the lawn this weekend.

Ken

6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

i got kaws that can sit on the rail of a truck running

7. rugmankc

rugmankc LawnSite Member

I think the trimmer will be great. Just hope it is not as hard starting when hot as my BG85. I now have it figured out, but it took a few weeks. The trimmer started right up first time following owners manual instructions.
    I'll find out on warm starting this weekend.

Ken

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I bought an FS90R a couple of months ago, replacing an FS85 trimmer. The 90 does vibrate more than the 85. It also has a stronger pull on the cord to start. However, it starts first-pull, every time. The first start in the morning requires a choke, but after the first one, the rest of the day is just pull and go. It clearly has a different sound than the 2 cycle 85. But, power is very good, excellent throttle response, and overall, a very good replacement for the 85 (no longer available).

9. rugmankc

rugmankc LawnSite Member

Thanks Roger,

I start the BG85 same cold and hot and has been working great. I'll try the FS100 hot with no. choke, just pull. Do you prime it at all after 10 minutes or more sitting.

Ken

10. coolgreen

coolgreen LawnSite Member

My FS85 takes about 40 pulls to start every morning. Biggest piece of junk I've ever ownded. I had the carb rebuilt recently, but to no avail. This thing has always run like crap.

I will never buy another Stihl prodect. Ever.

Don't even ask me about my two BR600 blowers. One blew up so badly it needed a new piston, cylinder, and just about everything else you can think of. My local dealer is putting it through on warranty, but I haven't seen my blower in more than two months.

My other blower has been in for valves, but is still running, but I don't know for how long. The other one gave no signs there was anything wrong until it self destructed at full throttle. Bang.