1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Stihl Sh85 blower/vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenClips, Aug 18, 2006.

1. GreenClips

GreenClips LawnSite Member

Well today i picked up a new Stihl SH85 blower/vac for $260 what do you guys think of theses blowers.
  2. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

not bad !!! we use the vac part when trimming some shrubs it nice when the customer has rock in the beds sucks it up pretty nice ya have to watch the
    big stuff it jams up the shoot but dosent take long to unstop it also great for getting leaves out of stair wells and window wells
  3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had mine for a year or so. Overall it is ok if you are cleaning out beds with leaves in them. It is another tool that has a place. The drawback from my point of view is they don't suck up wet heavier stuff fast and if you are cleaning out anything with larger sticks,bark,or debris that stuff can jam it up pretty easy. I think the baby rakes and a garbage can works just as good.
    like I said though it does have a place and a time to be used.
  4. lawnboyblake

lawnboyblake LawnSite Member

I agree with ya guys. I have had mine for about 6 months, and the vac part is useless to me. Always gettin jammed up and takes forever when its jammed between the wheel. Mine even wore the wheel away once with a big piece of mulch that was in there!!!!!!!!!!! Only use it as a blower for me, too much hassle and not enough power....
  5. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I gotta tell ya... as a diehard Stihl owner I'm totally disappointed with mine.
    It sucks, and not literally.

If your looking for a cheap way to get stuff out of beds get one of those Craftsman blower/suckers for about $110... Look here
    I bought the SH85 thinking it would be better than the old Craftsman... far from it, the Craftsman beats it hands down.
    The cheapo may not last forever, but mine is still going strong after 3 years.

On the other hand, the SH85 will (literally) blow away the Craftsman in blower mode... go figure.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

as a blower-its the most powerfull i have ever used (for a hand blower)dont know about the vac part
  7. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I agree Dan, I also have a BR600 and still grab the little 85 for some jobs.
  8. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

We use the Echo ES-230 and it has plenty of suction power in the vac mode for most applications. The metal blade shreds everything to bits!