new stihl trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by man of stihl, Mar 26, 2006.

1. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

hey everyone, i would just like to mention that i attented the yearly open house at my mower dealer yesterday and i saw the new stihl trimmer that they came out with. It was new to me i had never seen this model before.
    It is the fs 90. the rep said that this is replacing the fs85's. it has the new 4mix engine on it and it is heavier than the 100 because the of the solid driveshaft. The list price on these is right around $299. Im very interested in this trimmer, do you guys have any comments on this trimmer?
    thanks,
    lance

2. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about that one but as far as it being heavier than the 100 because of the solid drive shaft, if you are referring to the FS 100 RX it also has the solid drive shaft.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Man of ... I think you are right about the weights. I saw them at a trade show a couple of weeks ago. You mentioned the solid shaft as a contribitor to the weight, but the gear housing at the trimmer head is also a bit different. The FS90 has a heavier housing, adding a bit of weight -- but, it also permits using blades (in place of the string trimmer head). If I have the story right, the hollow shaft and lighter gear housing are intended primarily for string trimming applications, not for use of blades (at least heavy blade usage).

4. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

ya thats the way i understand it. well that is the way the stihl rep told me.:clapping:

5. CuttinUP

You know come to think about it the 100 might be a hollow shaft not solid shaft, but I was mainly saying that it wasn't a cable type shaft(which is generally the lightest but the weakest)

6. CuttinUP

The 90 is only a little less than a pound and a half heavier then the 100 and the 90 has a little less power then the 100. I have the 100 and it has been great, I am sure that the 90 is too, It depends all on what your needs are.

7. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Any Stihl trimmer with "RX" attached to the model is a hollow cable drive shaft. Hope that helps.