New Stone Tools

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by akerr, Feb 10, 2007.

1. akerr

akerr LawnSite Member

I am rounding out my stone tool inventory for this up coming season. I been using my bosses stone tools, but now I am self employed so I had to pick up the essentials. Carbide chisels, striking hammer and a mash hammer with a carbided blade. I am ready to rock.

tools 001.jpg

tools 003.jpg

tools 004.jpg

tools 002.jpg

tools 007.jpg

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like you go the basic hand tools down. Now its time to go by some electric grinders and chisels.

3. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Isn't awful how much money you can spend just on those hammers and chisels. I see you went for the best....Trow and Holden. That's all we use, they're well worth the $$$$. Have fun with them

4. akerr

akerr LawnSite Member

MarcusLndscp, it is amazing how much more a carbide chisel is compared to a steel chisel. Trow and Holden is definitely the best. I actually have trouble finding good quality stone tools at brick/block supply companies. The next tool purchased will be a 10lb. stone mall to break large slabs. My former employer still has Trow and Holden chisels he started with 20 yrs ago.

Mrusk, I am going to focus on working with stone in dry laid applications. I learned from an idealist working only with hand tools and occasionally a hand held grinder. I have no experience with electric chisels, and I will probably stay away from that. I am just excited to wail on some stone with my tools.

5. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

Do you do stone masory on fireplaces and houses or do you just do landscape walls? I get all my tools at throw and holden also, they are expensive but nice, and there are no other chisels that compare to theres. What kind of stone is popular down there in virginia?

6. akerr

akerr LawnSite Member

MRBsx2, I have only worked with stone in landscape settings: walls, patios, steps, etc.. The man I learned from did 4 chimneys by himself in his career as a mason. We generally collect stone for projects on the client's property if it's available. The stone in our area for the most part is granite, with a lot of fissures. The government has been doing a study in our area to determine the age of the granite in the blue ridge mnts. They are definitely one of the oldest mnt ranges in the world. If we have to order stone it generally is for steps and we use west virginia sandstone. Probably in the mid 90s there was a huge flood in our area, and one large mountain became a wash depositing stones on all the fields below the mountain. My former boss was friends with one of the farmers, and he allowed us to collect tons of stone. It looked like the moon/riverbed, rocks every where. The farmer got federal funds to clean his fields up. He pushed all the stones into a huge piles and now you can't collect anything. The piles are all over grown with trees and brush. The farmer had alot of heavy equipment so he started screening the piles and sell dump truck load of stone to LUCK STONE.

7. Armstrong

Armstrong LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Basic hand tools are juts the best.

8. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Can somone elaborate on these tools and uses. I am not using the right tools for natural stone masonary work.

9. stonebender

stonebender LawnSite Member
    from NE

I just picked up a Trow and Holden arsenal myself and was wondering what you guys carry/store them in to protect the carbide tips. I was thinking about the Rhino brand stone mason's bag, but am looking for other alternatives...

Bottom of the page
    http://www.rhinotools.com/chisels.html