New string trimmer, decisions decisions.......

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by chrisexv6, Aug 13, 2004.

1. chrisexv6

chrisexv6 LawnSite Member
    from CT

In the market for a new string trimmer. I really just want to buy one good one that I can keep for a very long time, instead of getting frustrated by cheap ones every year.

I know I want a straight shaft model, easy enough. But I dont know if I want a "pro-homeowner" type, or a "commercial" type. Im looking at the following:

Echo SRM210
    Stihl FS55
    RedMax 200DL
    Shindaiwa 22T

Shindaiwa 230*
    RedMax 225DL
    Husky 323L
    Kawasaki ktr27a

Ive separated them into the "pro-homeowner" and "commercial" categories. Price is not an issue, as it seems all of the prices are relatively close. * by the Shiny means that I cant actually find the 230, and I have heard the 231 isnt nearly as nice, so the Shiny is just about written off (unless someone can point me where to get one on the net).

Any suggestions would be really helpful. Ive searched these forums for all of these models, and it always seems to come out as 50/50 (I love it/I hate it), so I figured Id ask one more time before trying to make a decision.

If it means anything, Im really leaning towards the Husky, because its so light and powerful, but for the same price I could end up with a RedMax (or even a Shiny 230), so I didnt want to jump the gun just yet.

Thanks!!!
    -Chris

2. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Got my Kawasaki KTR27A off eBay delivered to my door for $209. Plenty powerful for my needs.

3. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

My dad has the Husqvarna 326, which was rated #1 by Consumer Reports, and he couldn't be happier with it. I have a Stihl (the straight-shaft attachment to the Kombi system), and it's also great, but is a bit heavier than Dad's.

4. chrisexv6

from CT

I was reading of a lot of people complaining about the cutting swath size being too small on the Kawa. Is this your experience as well?

Only person I see on Ebay that has one wants 245 shipped. That matches the price I can get from a dealer here in CT.

-Chris

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Stihl fs80.
    You won't be sorry.
    $270

6. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thats what I have and it rocks. I was thinking about the 110 but since I'm just a homeowner (with a lot to trim) I figured it was best to save the money. I think I paid $249 or $259 for mine at Bahner Lawn and Forest in Shelton, CT.

7. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

$245 shipped isn't anything special, I'd go to the dealer for that price since it retails for $250. No problem with my cutting swath, but I took the guard off and use an Edgit on it.

8. chrisexv6

from CT

Thanks for the replies!!! Looks like Im going to spend tomorrow checking out the possibilities.

I wasnt leaning towards Stihl, but I have a feeling thats what Ill end up with. I want power but I dont want weight. unfortunately I think the Red Max's might be too heavy, as will the T231 Shindy (I still cant find the better T230 around here). So it looks like it will either be Stihl, Kawa, Husky, or Echo (leaning away from Echo, after reading these forums). Husky seems to have good power to weight ratio, but the only dealer nearby seems to like to sell everything at retail, and I really dont want to buy one from Lowes.

EDIT: one more question........any idea if the interchangeable cutting attachments fit the FS80? I notice Stihl only lists the 83,85, and 110 as compatible, but I cant find any info on their site about the 83/85 models, wondering if the 80 replaces them?

-Chris

9. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

I dont think the FS80 has changeable attachments. Check with a stihl dealer. I also wasnt leaning towards a stihl but leaning toward a Husqvarna. However, once I picked up the stihl (and its the same dealer where I bought my tractor from) I never looked back. So much power.

10. chrisexv6

from CT

Thanks for the info!!! Ive learned that the 80 will not take the attachments, BUT you can swap in the 85 solid driveshaft without any other mods, and then you can use the attachments.

However, Ive seen the prices of the attachments, and dont think I would be buying them anytime soon :) Nice to know though that Im only about 30 bux away from being able to use them if I ever want.

I actually ordered an FS80 yesterday (none of the dealers had them in stock, I think that says something). Went up to Knights in Orange. I was still undecided between Echo, Stihl, Shindy, and Husky. After talking to the guys there, it was evident that the "big store" brands are declining in quality. They showed me the Echo, but it sounded like the equivalent Stihl is even better. Then I went from the FS55 to the FS80, just because they felt the same weight, and the 80 is just so much more powerful (the rubberized grips are cool too :) ). When they were putting together an 85 (same as 80, minus driveshaft) in the shop, I was looking around and noted the 6 Echo string trimmers they had tagged for repair. That made up my mind right there.

-Chris