New string trimmer, which one?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by hsvhobbit, Oct 26, 2006.

1. hsvhobbit

hsvhobbit LawnSite Member

My old Ryobi is on it's last legs and I'm ready for a new one. Even after a carb rebuild it's not making any power and the string head is making a lot of noise. So now I"m in the market for a new one.

I've got some tough cutting areas that I believe would be best handled with a blade on the trimmer at times so I want something able to handle that well. At this point I'm looking hard at the Stihl trimmers, specifically the FS80 and the FS110. The 110 is a little larger but is rated at the same HP as the 80, as well as being more expensive than the 80.

The 110 is a 4-stroke engine that still uses 2 cycle mix but claims to have more torque.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on this? I'll spend the money if it'll get me a better machine but I just don't know.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the so-called easy-start system? How about the different heads available from Stihl? They have one that's an easy load that looks like it would save me some time in reloading string..

I know these are both commercial machines and seem to be well thought of so I'm not too worried about getting a trash model, I'm sure both are nice.

Also, I've looked around at other brands and in the area I'm at I'm just not too impressed with the other dealers. Shindiawa dealer has a poor selection and a lousy attitude.

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well, since you've already made that statement about your Shindaiwa dealer, I won't push and suggest a Shindaiwa trimmer.

However, if you are looking for a trimmer head that offers easy string loading, once you get your Stihl trimmer, you might take a gander at the Shindaiwa Speed Feed head. There is an adapter to fit them to a Stihl trimmer. With the Speed Feed head, you should never have to take the head apart. You simply feed the line in, pull 10-12 feet out on one side depending on the line diameter, and then you ratchet the head and it automatically spools the line into the head.

3. hsvhobbit

Hummm, hadn't considered that maybe I could use the Shin head. I've certainly heard good things about the brand overall.

I was very disappointed at the Shin dealer. They were my first preference since they seem to make some of the lightest units and have a great rep. But you know when you walk in and nobody in the store can tell you anything about their product and their price list is 2 years old, it doesn't give you a good feeling.

How well does the speed head do once it gets some age and dirt on it. Guess what I'm asking is, is this something I'll have to keep unusually clean for it to work right? How does the Shin unit compare to the Stihl one? The Stihl dealer gave me a quick demo of how easy/fast it was to load up and it just blew me away.

Thanks for the feedback.

4. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Those shin heads work on ECHO?

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are going to go with a commercial Stihl unit, try the fs 100 4-mix. If you have no need for future attachments, the 100 is lighter and incorporates the same engine as the 110, making it just as powerful as the fs110.

The 4-mix 100 and 110 will have much more power then the comparably rated horse-power wise fs 80 or 85 two stokes.

6. newz7151

from Tejas

Yes, there is an adapter kit, part number 28820-07440 to fit most Echo straight shaft trimmers.

The adapter kit part number for Stihl is 28820-07430.

Redmax kit (if anybody runs those) is 28820-07480.

The adapter kits retail for like $6-$8.

7. newz7151

from Tejas

As far as how well the SpeedFeed holds up, if you are a home user, you should get a very long life out of it. If you run a crew that bashes your heads into concrete walls and stuff, then expect to rebuild them every now and then. Parts for rebuild, such as spool,eyelets, and what they call the core, should run you about $10 (if that much). The way they snap so tightly together, it's rare to get very much dirt into the actual spool area.

You can view an online video of the Speed Head loading at http://www.shindaiwa.com/nam/en/technology/speedfeed/index.php .

As far as your dealer's price list being 2 years old, count that as a blessing... many of the units have gone up quite a bit in 2 years time.

Also, if you are having an issue with your dealer, you can contact the distributor and try and get things cleared up.
    RCH Distributors, Inc.
    P.O. Box 161272 (38186)
    3140 Carrier
    Memphis, TN 38116
    (901) 345-3100
    (800) 821-1420

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I have used the FS100RX, FS110R and FS130R ...

Speaking from expirience here, buy the 110 if you plan on using a blade, if not buy the 100. Either one will last you forever and then some, they have incredible low end torque and will perform to your highest expectations. My current trimmer is a 130R and boy that sucker is heavy after trimming all day long. BTW you should be able to get the 100 for ~320 and the 110 for a little more than that, ~370?

9. hsvhobbit

Sounds like the 110 is what I need. Looks like I'll be dropping by my dealer this evening after work and see if he can fix me up.

Any good tips for using a blade on one of these things?

10. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I use fs-55r to fs-250r like them all for each job. mine is a fs-74r and a fs-200r but to the point julee use a fs-110rx she loves it. I like my 2 stroke the low end power just to bump it along