New stuff at GIE

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Oct 21, 2013.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL...Actually I have never seen a trellis frame on any mower. This is technology from the racing world.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Got word on the pricing, $8500 on the base model 3400 trannys with briggs cyclonic motor up to $12000 for the 5400 units....looks like a little pricier unit to begin with, but with lines like that, and if they hold up to abuse I bet they will sell some

3. GMLC

It is gorgeous!! The Ducati of ZTR's!!

You guys at the expo. Is Altoz allowing demos? Are they steeling the show?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. GMLC

5. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with you. When I saw the pic here on LS I went to the website and looked at all of the details. If they perform as well as they look, and they are (somewhere around) being reasonably priced, they should take a chunk of the market. Great looking and impressively engineered (from what I'm seeing)!

6. GMLC

This could be the first major change on a ZTR since full suspn. Its all going to come down to performance of the deck and chassis. Lets hope we have a winner.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This mower is offering nothing different other than looks. This is merely an eye catcher in design from an aesthetic standpoint.

8. GMLC

I will need a better look but it appears to have a trellis designed frame. The first I have ever seen on a ZTR. If so it would have a very expensive, strong, and good looking frame. This would open up some crazy suspn technology that could be a way around Ferris's patent. I raced Ducati's for many years. Ducati has the trellis frame patent rights in the motorcycle world. If the frame of this mowers is not trellis I agree with you 100%.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I only compare components, not aesthetics, and the only real standout in the zero-turn mower market at this particular time is Hustler's industrial grade hydraulic system with its Sauer Danfoss slipper piston pumps. This hydraulic system is head and shoulders above the rest, with other components used by the top mower manufacturers being basically standardized. The next standout would be Ferris mowers independent four-wheel suspension.

10. GMLC

One could also argue that the hydro gear transaxle was a technology leap in the ZTR world. In the end its just a component. A shift in frame technology opens the door for components to be positioned in endless arrangements and almost endless suspension options and even articulation points within the frame. But I guess Im a fabricator/technician at heart and know what a trellis frame offers.
    Posted via Mobile Device