1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New stuff from Walker!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLC, Jul 17, 2001.

1. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Got my newest Walker Talk and they may have just sold me on their mower. They just introduced a 74 inch deck for their machine. I'm going to have to seriously look at them now. It has 4 timed blades and rotates 90 degrees. I want one, I want one. I've always shyed away from them because I didn't believe they could produce on a big lawn, but they would be great on a small one. This big deck may have me riding a Walker next year. Plus my local dealer is awesome.
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Is this not their version of this machine?? I have not seen it but it sounds very similar in the larger deck width. Just make sure that you have extremely flat turfgrass areas - sounds like an easy easy way to scalp and mar more turf than to cut it.

Good Luck with your new investment if it goes that way.

3. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Walker is also coming out with a NEW 56" Deck to replace the current 54" Deck. They are more open underneath for a better flow of grass. I'm kind of SOLD on the 52" as you can run a double blade set-up on it. For open mowing I think the 74" will be a great asset for the guys mowing alot of acres at a time. I will always be a Walker Owner.
  4. carl28

carl28 LawnSite Member

Whats blade tip speed on the 74" deck? if its like the 62 " its signifigantly lower than the x-marks but still delivers a great cut as a result of the decreased ground speed woulkn't want to run it with anything but the new kohler 26hp efi tthough and as for weight will the new walker climb into my enclosed trailer with the 74" deck it is a 15 degree ramp after all.
  5. JLC

from IA

It was just a little blurb at the end of the Walker Talk. It did say that the weight was 300 pounds and it has the casters way out on the edge of the deck. It also has swiveling casters in the back edges of deck to keep it from scalping. The magazine also highlighted the new 56 inch deck to replace the 54 as Mowman said.
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Get it................we'll race!:blob3:
  7. JLC

from IA

I know what you are saying Homer. This is why the midmount/frontmount debate continues. I have midmount now and I know it would smoke the Walker for production on big lawns. The 74 deck would have to help the Walker's productivity though. You are right, a 72 Dixie would totally out do it in productivity. I just cant afford several machines for different kinds of lawns yet. I'm sure I will at some time, which will make decisions on the types of mowers to run much simpler as there is no one size fits all mower. Every one has their strong points and weak points.
  8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I was just kiddin'

You Walker guys are soooooooooo sensative.

I saw that article too, I get the Walker Talk magazine and read it from frt to back. They are the one magazine that will actually look at the small guy as "somebody". Of course they own a Walker!

If your a micro mini operation the other magazines won't give you the time of day.

Small contractor.........2.0 mil rev.

LOL, ya right

In response to the big deck scalping more................not true............I think it scalps less.....................
  9. JLC

from IA

Sorry Homer, didn't mean for it to come across negative, just discussing. I knew you were kidding.
  10. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

You'd have to wonder if even the 26efi motor would handle the 74" deck. I think you'd need at least a 30-35hp diesel to run it