New Sulkey - Difficulty Mowing Straight

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJR_63, Apr 25, 2007.

1. MJR_63

MJR_63 LawnSite Member

I have a Exmark Metro 48" mower. I just picked up a new Mower Brand dual wheel swivel caster sulky. I love the dual swivel wheels - the mower turns on a dime, however when I am mowing an a very slight incline I find myself having to break on the uphill side to try to maintain a straight line. The sulky follows the mower perfectly straight. Do you think that since I am on a slight incline the swivel wheels are causing the machine to pull to one side? Do you think the front Walk-Behind Weight Set would help to keep me tracking straight? Has anyone experienced this problem?

Thanks!

2. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I am assuming you have dual hydros.

Having to squeeze one control slightly to maintain a straight line on different slopes is normal.

I am confused by you saying the uphill side though.

3. MJR_63

MJR_63 LawnSite Member

My machine is not a hydro...gear driven...I can't remember but I know I have to apply the break on one side to try keeping the mower tracking straight. I have not had much success...Anyone else have a similar problem with the dual wheel Velke or Jungle Wheels?

Thanks!

4. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Metro 36" with Jungle Wheels and it does the same thing. I've always thought it was normal for it to lean since one side is pointing down hill. Plus for me an Accelerator hanging off the right side.

5. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Gravity will pull the mower down, regardless of the sulky. Use the upside neutral or brake.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I think what you are saying is the addition of the swivel-wheeled sulky is having great influence on the behavior of the mower? Am I right?

Can you change the sulky from a swivel-wheel to a trailer type? This change may help you during the more difficult terrain mowing.

I have a 36" hydro w/b. I bought a BullRider sulky, intending to use it in caster mode (both wheels swiveling). It did not work. The sulky had far too much influence on the direction of the machine. I couldn't control the mower. The mower is too small, too narrow of footprint. When I changed to trailer mode, the combination works well.

You may be having the same problem. Perhaps there are times when you need to change how the sulky is being used, putting an additional degree of freedom in the setup.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You are putting allot of pressure on one side "or wheel" on the sulky. this causes the mower to pull more then if you walked behind it. you are"or its better" to walk the hills so you don't pull on the grass so it dies and turns brown.