1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Super Z 60/28 EFI using oil, only 23 hours

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLH, Jul 29, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a new Super Z 60/28 EFI Kohler engine. I changed oil and filter at 5 hours.

I checked oil at 17 hours and it was down 1/4 below full mark, added oil to bring up to full mark.

This mower is used for homeowner use only not commercial, it takes me only 3 hours per cut.

I checked again at 20 hours, it was down 1/4 below full again. I did not add any this time but proceeded to cut for 3 hours.

Upon finishing and allowing mower to cool completely, the oil level had dropped down to add mark. The mower now has a total of 23 hours.

The grass is not overgrown and the mower is not forced and I have not abused it whatsoever.

I asked my dealer yesterday and he said it was possible that there could be a
    crack or flaw in the breather seperator, which is a small rubber-plastic type grommet.

Has anyone experienced this type of oil use problem, if so how was it solved?
  2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

does the mower smoke at all?
  3. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

If it is smoking I'm not aware of it, I have not smelled the scent of fumes that indicated oil consumption when I have been mowing.

I have installed a Tiny Tach, checking it frequently when mowing, it stays between 3300-3400 rpm's. Is this normal? It tachs 3560 at full throttle with blades not ingaged.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I really doubt that the mower is burning oil.

Most likely the oil filter or the oil plug / drain is not tight. Something else to look at would be if the old oil filter left its rubber seal attached to the block and you applied the new filter over it. This will leak oil. The double seal cannot seal properly.

Another possiblity would be that you filled it up to full but did not prefill the oil filter. Thus the filter absorbed oil and gave the appearance of having lost oil. Always change the oil, fill it back up then run for 5-10 minutes and recheck the oil level. Especially when changing the filter.

And have the dealer fix the breather separator, should be a warranty item.

Hope that helps.
  5. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

The oil filter and drain plug are tight, and there are no leaks anywhere. The mower is parked in my garage and I walk by it everyday and there is no oil leakage anywhere.

When I changed the oil I did fill the filter twice to allow it to be saturated with oil before installing, and I did not overfill. I used 1.9 quarts and it was dead on the full mark after running until completely warm and then allowing it to completely cool before rechecking. I am very meticulous about doing thing correctly when servicing my equipment.
  6. marvinlee

marvinlee LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

It is rare, but occasionally a dip stick will be mismarked, or the dipstick holder will be out of tolerance. Another possibility is that the engine will use less oil over time. Have you checked the spark plugs to see if either one shows more oil consumption on that cylinder? If you have a tach, you can disconnect one spark plug at a time and determine if each of the two cylinders produce similar engine speed.
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

good for you, most people are not.
  8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

blown headgasket / internal leak
  9. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

What would cause a blown headgasket / internal leak?

Is that a common occurance on a new mower?

I'm not knowledgable about the internal workings of motors so I want pretend to be.

Thanks for the help from all who have replied.
  10. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I have the same mower you have. When I first got mine it did burn alittle oil, alittle less than what yours is burning. I would give it alittle more time to get broke in before your get to worried about it. Its normal for the engine to burn alittle when its new, just let it get broke in.