1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Super Z 60/28 EFI using oil

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by JLH, Jul 29, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a new Super Z 60/28 EFI Kohler engine. I changed oil and filter at 5 hours.

I checked oil at 17 hours and it was down 1/4 below full mark, added oil to bring up to full mark.

This mower is used for homeowner use only not commercial, it takes me only 3 hours per cut.

I checked again at 20 hours, it was down 1/4 below full again. I did not add any this time but proceeded to cut for 3 hours.

Upon finishing and allowing mower to cool completely, the oil level had dropped down to add mark. The mower now has a total of 23 hours.

The grass is not overgrown and the mower is not forced and I have not abused it whatsoever.

I asked my dealer yesterday and he said it was possible that there could be a
    crack or flaw in the breather seperator, which is a small rubber-plastic type grommet.

Has anyone experienced this type of oil use problem, if so how was it solved?
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

This could just be engine break in, as in the piston rings not being seated in yet.
    I would get with your dealer and make sure this is the case though, I am not a Kohler technician and cant speak on behalf of Kohler.