New Super Z and Old Super Z compared.

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Shady Brook, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

After owning both machines I thought I would give my thoughts on them. I have a 2004 27/60 Super Z with opened up deck, and a 2006 with 30hp XR7.

In my opinion the XR7 excels in wet grass. It does not seem to build up much of anything under the deck, and does not seem to toss chunks of grass. It seems to cut pretty clean in most conditions. If the grass is not to long it disperses the grass evenly and stripes nicely. In really tall grass, similar to lot cutting once per month the XR7 is vastly superior to the old deck. The elevated front really cuts down very tall grass well.

My old Super Z will clump when wet and will build up under the deck something terrible. In wet conditions the XR7 dominates the old deck. In tall conditions and proper blade choices I can get this machine to disperse clippings better then the XR7 when the grass is tall. It will not cut super tall grass as well, but normal tall and thick grass it will cut well and disperse better then the XR7. I think I can get as clean of a cut with the Old machine, if not better if the grass is dry using Super high lift blades. I prefer them to the Fusions. I can not get them in the new blade size for the XR7.

If I could take either deck, I would opt for the XR7 because of it's ability to handle wet grass even if I had to sacrifice some of it's dispersion capabilities.

Now that is not all, but because to have the new deck they had to redesign the frame making it about 6" longer. This effects things to some degree.

In my opinion the new machine is rougher riding. I think the longer wheel base makes you really feel the undulations causing you to have to go slower. I believe the difference is very noticeable. I think with the flex forks the machines would be similar in performance if not giving the advantage to the new machine in smoothness of ride. I have a bagger and can not use the flex forks, but did demo one with them. I fear scalping with the forks as I experienced this with my demo. Perhaps lowering the anti-scalp rollers would help, but I have already broken one off because of their lower position.

I don't like the added length on my trailer, nor do I like the length when turning as it makes the machine feel longer and less nimble. This is just my opinion.

I also think that the deck bounces up much easier then the old deck. I would think the deck would be heavier on the new, and stay down better, but perhaps the springs are tighter. This again slows ground speed where there are bumps because the deck will elevate causing unlevel cutting.

For ride comfort I would choose the old style machine.
    For cutting at high speed I would choose the Old style machine.
    For trailering I would choose the Old style machine.

If I were ready to buy again I would save a few hundred bucks and get the Old style deck machine. If my business were in a climate with lots of rain and flat properties I would choose the XR7, but with a mix of small and large properties with rough terrain the Old style deck with more blade options is more productive for me.

These are just my thoughts. Don't let me sway you, but demo to be sure what is right for you.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Thank you for your detailed and honest review.

3. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

I use fusion blades with the 05 super z and if I'm cutting crabgrass or thick grass I have to go real slow. The motor boggs down alot. Is this normal?

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Very interesting and well written. The old style may ride better, I don't know but a longer wheel base always will ride better all other things being equal. That part doesn't make sense. It must be somthing else giving the ride difference but I've been wrong before. Anyone want to correct me about this I would be interested. Not many Caddy's and Lincolns with a short wheel base. Extended cab trucks are known for a better ride. Maybe I'm missing something.

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The 28 efi will hold you rpm's up higher than either the 27 or 30 hp which in turn will keep your blades turning faster and disbursing grass better and farther wet or dry. I mow rough terrain and there is no comparison in which mower will ride the best and cut the fastest, with 8 lbs. of air in the tires and the flex forks it rides 10 times better than my 2005 27/60 Super Z or my 2004 27/60 Super Z and the 28 efi is by far superior to the carburetor engines in power, response and fuel economy. When you have a engine that holds the rpm's up when the carburetor engines fall back it makes the cutting deck perform much better in every way.

6. punk_rockin2001

punk_rockin2001 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the great comparison and detail. So in normal conditions which would you say has the best quality of cut? Which one gives the wow effect more? I am looking for a new mower and my main concern is quality of cut. Thanks again!

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

As far as how smooth the ride is on a longer wheelbase unit, I can not be definative. My guess if all things are equal, which I am not sure they are, a vehicle on a smooth surface will always favor a longer wheelbase unit. A vehicle on a varried surface may be long enough to nearly span an undulation but fall just short causing a bounce, where a slightly shorter unit may not span the distance at all and just ride up and out of the undulation.

For example a Town car that is on a rough road and comes to a dip. The front of the car drops into the dip while the rear is on top and as it exits the dip the front is begining to hit the incline of the dip while the rear is ready to drop down the dip causing some bouncing and torrsion. Where a VW bug would have it's wheels together going down and up without the bumps associated with "nearly" spanning the bump. Well, I tried tacoma, likely there are other factors effecting my perception of the ride. Without letting my opinion be known, my workers prefer the ride of the older machine, and also feel they can mow faster as they do not get any deck bounce. Just thought of something....The deck on the XR7 is wider then the old deck. The XR7 tends to break off more anti-scalp wheels, at least that is what I am reading. Perhaps some of the ride quality, and deck bounce pertains to the longer deck (front to back) finding uneven ground more often, and it is the anti-scalps that are elevating the deck and giving the perceived rough ride.

As far as cut quality in dry conditions my workers and I favor the quality of cut and discharge of the old style deck using the Ultra High lift blades. In wet conditions the XR7 is the hands down winner.

8. tacoma200

Thanks for all the info Shady Brook!!!

9. tacoma200

Just wondering, you run at high speeds it seems so have you had any problems with the flex forks and scalping when turning, stopping, etc. Just heard a few guys concerned about it? Thanks!

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't broken any yet, but one of my center ones is bent a bit.

Funny, had a Lazer for 5+ years, NEVER bent or broke an anti-scalp wheel.

Have 60+ hrs on the SuperZ and one is bent.

I think Hustler should use the shoulder sleeve with a bolt through it like eXmark does. This MUST be stronger. I hit a LOT of things over the years on the eXmark and NOTHING ever bent, I don't even remember hitting anything on the SuperZ and its bent. A bolt no matter what size will never be as strong as the shoulder tube and bolt design.

More holes for wheel adjustment would be better too.