New Super Z Breaks Down

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cward76, Mar 13, 2006.

1. cward76

cward76 LawnSite Member

PJ, I really need some words of comfront. While playing around on my new 60"/28 super z I bought 3/9/06. It lost all of its power. I thought that it was flooding. It was running rough and when I pushed the arms forward it would almost die. I put it back in the building and called my dealer. This was his first sell of an EFI. He drove out to my house to take a look. When he started it up it sounded twice as bad as it did the day before. He said it was only firing on the front cylinder. Also said that cylinder did not have near enough compression coming from it. After changing the the plugs and coils around and make a few more checks, he said the problem may be internal and the EFI may have been the start of the problem. ALL OF THIS AFTER ONLY 1.8 HOURS ON a $10,000 MACHINE.:cry:

Questions:

1) Have you herd of this before?

2) What do you guy think it is?

3) If it is internal, will I have to settle for a rebut engine on a $10,000 machine with 1.8 hours on it or will Hustler send a new engine? I do not like the idea of having the engine worked on after 1.8 hours on it.

4) Can Hustler send a new machine to replace this one since it is so new?

5) Do you think this could be a lemon. I do not think I have herd a problem like this before.

Please help before I'm sleeping in the dog house. Sorry so long. Cheyenne

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Lets not jump ahead of things here.
    E-mail or post the dealer information here to me, and I can get our guys on top of this and get to the root of the problem, then we can work on the solution.

Pj

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Let's not forget one thing. Hustler Builds the mower but installs another brand of engine on it. The engine problem falls back on Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda, ect. That same engine would be acting the same way on any brand of mower with this same problem. It's like buying a new plasma TV and your cable goes out. Do you call the company that built the TV? It is a bit different, because Hustler has to work as a medium between you and the engine company.

4. cward76

cward76 LawnSite Member

I know this is not Hustler's fault and my dealer has been great so far. AND, for the record, I would buy the same mower tomorrow. This is a bit aggravating, but things happen. I have faith in Hustler and this gives me some peace of mind, but I am not so sure about Kohler. Maybe there will be a easy fix, and next week I am tell you guys how great the Super Z cuts.

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I know exactly how you would feel I have a new 28 efi that has 2.5 hrs. on it but if I had anything new to go down I would want Hustler's people behind me. They know this mower is their responsibility and that is the exact reason their customer service is the best in the business. I promise you if it takes a new mower to satisfy you that is what you will get then they will take your mower and do what ever is necessary to make it new again.

6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Although I don't have the EFI, I am confident Hustler will take care of you.

7. cward76

cward76 LawnSite Member

Dealer said a new engine is on its way. Hope to have it back soon.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Good to hear.

9. cward76

cward76 LawnSite Member

Well, I guest it was a hard part problem. A hard part called a nut. The service guy told my dealer that Kohler would not let him order a new engine without trying to fix mine first. A nut that did not belong to the engine was found holding one of the valves open. I guess it was dropped in at the factory while they were putting it together.So, he ordered a new head and valves. I did not like the idea of this, so my dealer called me back today and said that he was ordering me a NEW MOWER in and he would take care of getting the other one fixed. It should be here Monday.

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Good to hear that your getting taken care of.
    Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Pj